Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You Guys Riding?
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo c-dale riders. Been having issues for a while now with my chain popping off on its own from the middle ring to the little one. It happens on the climbs, and it makes no difference what gear I'm in.

I replaced my middle ring with a crappy one at the beginning of the season and the problem was momentarily fixed. After about 200 miles, it was full on again, and something needs to get done.

I'm planning on taking off the big ring b/c it's bent, and replacing the middle one with a 36t and a new bash guard. I'm checking out some RaceFace chainrings and an e.13 bash guard. I'm curious if anyone has done this to their prophet and how it worked out. I'm also checking out some Blackspire rings, but they're more expensive.

Lemme know if you have any thoughts. Take care all

Lev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Lev said:
Yo c-dale riders. Been having issues for a while now with my chain popping off on its own from the middle ring to the little one. It happens on the climbs, and it makes no difference what gear I'm in.

I replaced my middle ring with a crappy one at the beginning of the season and the problem was momentarily fixed. After about 200 miles, it was full on again, and something needs to get done.

I'm planning on taking off the big ring b/c it's bent, and replacing the middle one with a 36t and a new bash guard. I'm checking out some RaceFace chainrings and an e.13 bash guard. I'm curious if anyone has done this to their prophet and how it worked out. I'm also checking out some Blackspire rings, but they're more expensive.

Lemme know if you have any thoughts. Take care all

Lev
The problem is the chain. You must change the chain every 1500 miles... :nono: Every rings with an old chain will have a short life!
 

·
You Guys Riding?
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... Not so sure about that. The chain on it is actually new due to a derailer (sp?) messup I had about a month ago. Now that I think about it, the problem started back up when the new chain was put on. So I still think the chainring needs to be replaced, nonetheless. Any RaceFace peeps out there, or is Shimano XT the way to go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I am on my second set of raceface rings with a Salsa bashguard on my CODA cranks and they work fine. As stated earlier, you might want to check your chain line. Also-cheap chainrings, especially aluminum, sometimes don't last very long. My son wore out a cheap aluminum inner (yah, I know - we learned) in about 6 rides. (He was little and we tried a 20 tooth inner to help him climb). You might want to inspect your middle and look for a bent tooth as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
If you're using the stock BB and cranks, your chainline should be OK. The middle ring problem started happening after you had a problem with your rear d? I would check your rear derailluer hanger alignment (use a tool, not your eyes). If that is the problem, you can try to bend it back, or buy a new replaceable hanger. Also, if you're running the same rear d. that you had the problem with, make sure it's not bent. All kinds of strange problems can pop up if the chain is twisted or at a weird angle due to rear d. funkiness.

BTW: I'm using the stock middle ring and a bash guard. Works well, but I wish I had a few more teeth. Also, the FSA bash guard gets loose after a couple of hits, because the chainring bolt head diameter is a smidge too small. You would think using an FSA bash guard with FSA cranks would work great, but I guess not.
 

·
Music & Bikes
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
If you're using the stock BB and cranks, your chainline should be OK.
There are case of recalls for those kind of problems.
GaryFisher Sugar were pleague with chain suck , they changed the lenght of the BB's......
They came stock with the faulty ones.........

Better safe than sorry , it's very easy to check if you have 3 plates.
 

·
You Guys Riding?
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fokof said:
There are case of recalls for those kind of problems.
GaryFisher Sugar were pleague with chain suck , they changed the lenght of the BB's......
They came stock with the faulty ones.........

Better safe than sorry , it's very easy to check if you have 3 plates.
Dude, not sure I understood that last post. 3 plates? Everything is stock on the drive train, minus some replaced parts. Doesn't seem like C-dale would screw something like that up. But then again...

What are you talking about with recalls?
 

·
Music & Bikes
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Sorry , english is not my main language, but I'm getting there....

Lev said:
Dude, not sure I understood that last post. 3 plates? Everything is stock on the drive train, minus some replaced parts. Doesn't seem like C-dale would screw something like that up. But then again...
When you have a 3 chainring drivetrain , it's easier to mesure your chainline , 'cause you calculate from the middle plate.

Lev said:
What are you talking about with recalls?
A friend of mine who deals GaryFisher told me they suggested to replace all BB on the Sugars ( cross coutry dual sus bike ) ' cause Trek ****ed up on the lenght of the axe of the BB for those bike. They were chainsuck animals. Shorter BB reduced the problem but not completly.

I was suggesting to mesure the chainline anyway. This is a major cause of drivetrain problems. Even if you haven't changed BB, just to be sure......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
The last Prophet that I built for the shop I work part time for was a white medium Prophet 600. It was doing the same thing when I finished it. It had a spacer behind the E type front derailer bracket and one too many of the bottom bracket spacers installed. The bottom bracket itself even said that you were not supposed to have the spacer installed with an E-type bottom bracket. So I took the BB spacer out and took the spacer from the front derailler (where the screw goes in the seat tube on the E-Types) mounting and it functioned perfectly after that. Never came off again. Might be worth a try on yours.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top