Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prophet 800 and Im looking to get a coil shock for it. Ive been looking at the Fox DHX 4 and 5. Will either of these fit the frame? Also Im 165lbs so what spring should I get it equiped with. This bike does mainly all mountain riding. Thanks guys

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I'm not sure about either shocks on the Prophet... but since the Prophet frame has a regressive rate design to match the proggressive spring rate of air shocks, I would look into a coil that has some kind of bottoming resistance adjustment so you make sure you don't bottom out on too small impacts.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know of any shocks off hand that have bottoming resistance? IIRC I think the Fox did but ill have to look into that.

Thanks for the quick reply too!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got off the phone with the cannondale tech and he told me just about anything will work. All I need to do is keep the 200mm eye to eye and the 50mm stroke the same.

So if I can find a DHX with those specs then I can just drop it right in. Do you know what spring I should get for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Because of the prophet´s regressive rate design suspension I would not recomend you coil shock. Coil schocks are generally very linear, so you will bottom out easilly with prophet.

There was a 2005 prophet that was equipped with coil shock (1000Z), but for 2006 and 2007 there are no prophets with coil shocks neither entry level nor agressive MX versions (o.k. there was a 2006 4X version with roco rc but it has totally diff. user base) which implies that prophet is best ridden with air shock.

What shock is mounted on the bike now. If it is radium, you shuld try swinger 3 way air or fox float r/rp23. Both are way better than radium.

P.S.: Spring rates are different with different frames and shocks for your weight, you would probably need something like 400-450 for 4 way coil and something like 450-500 for vanilla rc.
I would definetly try out coil shock (if there is a posibillity) before buying it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shock on there right now is a fox Float R. Maybe ill just stick with this for a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
just my tuppence worth, but i got a heckler (also falling rate rear) with the dhx 5.0 coil. spent a bit of time setting it up and its just amazing how supple it is, I never felt an air sprung bike feel as plush as this.

·
Registered
829 Posts
4 way coil

I just got a 4 way coil for my prophet ...the only reason was to give it a try ...and 24seven bikes have 20 4 way coils for sale on Ebay for £85. each. which is soo cheap i figured i would just by one for the hell of it...its got to be right for something, at that price:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
dhx 3.0

Magsrgod said:
I have a prophet 800 and Im looking to get a coil shock for it. Ive been looking at the Fox DHX 4 and 5. Will either of these fit the frame? Also Im 165lbs so what spring should I get it equiped with. This bike does mainly all mountain riding. Thanks guys
been running one for over a year. much better than the stock radium I had.
No bottom out knob on the 3.0.
5.0 will most likely hit the frame

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I think only the 5.0 has it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Manitou Swinger Coil 4 Way and 6 Way have such an adjustment too...
Any shock with an coil and air combo can be can be adjusted for bottom out control. Some shocks like Dan mentioned have external adjustments to do this. The air bottom out control for most are just the reduction of the air chamber volume. You can also reduce the volume by adding fork oil to the air chamber.

I have a 3-way 5th Element coil that does not have an external bottom out control. I like to run the shock at minimal SPV pressure. (plush) Running the SPV pressure at minimal makes my shock too linear and bottoms out easily. By adding oil to the air chamber the shock becomes very progressive towards the end of the travel drastically reducing bottoming out.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
DHX 3.0 prophet 800

Magsrgod said:
Freerider what coil have you been running? You haven't had any problems with it at all?
3.0 that I bought off of the MTBR classifieds. I believe the guy said it came on his Turner.
I think I'm running a 600# coil with no more than 50psi in the reservoir. Higher air volume really kills the "plush." The 550# was too soft (I weigh 195 pounds).

The only problem was when I had the shock facing down & towards the rear of the bike. I could not get it tight in the shock shuttle mounts (I ride it in the FR position ALWAYS).
Even with the right spacers (weird).

I flipped it around and faced it with the reservoir upward (cycled it through the travel w/o the coil to ensure it would not hit the top tube)...and the rest is history...

Like I said. It is WAY better than my Radium air shock.

I'm just a coil lover I guess....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks nice. Im going to call cannondale on monday to get their input on it. Even if it dosnt work out then I gained a shock for one of my other bikes.

BTW whats the bike in the background with the nice Dee Max's?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dot is yours a 7.875 x 2 shock? When i looked for Rocos in that size I couldnt find them.

Also how do you like it?? It looks nice as hell

·
Registered
116 Posts
Magsrgod said:
dot is yours a 7.875 x 2 shock? When i looked for Rocos in that size I couldnt find them.

Also how do you like it?? It looks nice as hell
200*50 no idea about inches. Got it from ebay. The difference from the Radium to the Roco is like from hardtail to Radium.
Look at http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Cannondale-Prophet-4X-Review.html to find out more, I can fully agree with that article.
If you once try coil you'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
freeriderB said:
I think I'm running a 600# coil with no more than 50psi in the reservoir. Higher air volume really kills the "plush." The 550# was too soft (I weigh 195 pounds).

Like I said. It is WAY better than my Radium air shock.

I'm just a coil lover I guess....
You can make your shock more progressive with better bottom out control by adding fork oil into the air chamber. Varying the amount of oil changes the progressiveness. Screw off the schrader air value and add the oil through there.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
my new VP Free

Magsrgod said:
That looks nice. Im going to call cannondale on monday to get their input on it. Even if it dosnt work out then I gained a shock for one of my other bikes.

BTW whats the bike in the background with the nice Dee Max's?
still in the build stage....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts