Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my heart set on a Prophet - I have been test riding for a while, and it is by far the most fun I have had on a bike. I was going to get the 600 and have my LBS do some upgrades: dual control levers and a rapid rise rear derallieur. The guy I am talking to suggested yesterday that I just go up to the 800 which would give me the upgrades I had in mind with a better fork and hydralic brakes for about $250 more than I would have paid if I just did the upgrades to the 600.

I have never used hydralic brakes before and am a bit leary of anything that is "high maintanence" but I don't like how much bob I get out of the fork when I am going uphill out of the saddle, and the new fork might ameleorate that somewhat. I am a student so the 600 price point is well outside of my budget - but given that I am going to spend this much anyways, I figure I may as well get it right.

A bit more information: I weigh about 190, and I am mostly going to be riding cross country with a bit of freeriding.

What are people opinions? Are the hydralic brakes and the 800 fork worth it?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can't speak for the Shimano hydraulics but I've been using Magura Martas for a couple of years now. The Martas are fine but I'm actually in the proces of switching over to the Avid BB7s. Why? Well the Martas have always been fiddly for me and adjusting them is a real pain in the ass. I always find myself screwing with them and wish they had the micro-adjustable pads like the BB7s. Also, with the mechs, I wont have to worry about bubbles forming in the lines, bleeding, leaks, blah blah blah. A friend of mine who is a regular racer has been using the Avids for 1.5 years now and swears by them - that's a good enough endorsement for me. As for the shock upgrade, you'll have to rely on other's input in that area.

·
cannondale rider
162 Posts
i am a student as well and bought a 600 this december. spending the money was a big stetch but i think it was worth it, definently the most fun ive had on a bike. i do mostly cross country with some small drops and the prophet definitely is perfect for that. i dont notice that much bobing climbing. if i were you i wouldnt spend the extra for the 800. i just demoed a scapel 2000 last weekend, while my prophet is in the shop, and this was my first experiece w/ dual controls and hydrolic brakes. it was a brand new bike and i was breaking the brakes in, but i didnt think they had the same stopping power as my avid mech do. the dual controls were ok, but i still rather have grip shifts. either way, youll have a great bike

·
Registered
78 Posts
rshank3499 said:
i am a student as well and bought a 600 this december. spending the money was a big stetch but i think it was worth it, definently the most fun ive had on a bike. i do mostly cross country with some small drops and the prophet definitely is perfect for that. i dont notice that much bobing climbing. if i were you i wouldnt spend the extra for the 800. i just demoed a scapel 2000 last weekend, while my prophet is in the shop, and this was my first experiece w/ dual controls and hydrolic brakes. it was a brand new bike and i was breaking the brakes in, but i didnt think they had the same stopping power as my avid mech do. the dual controls were ok, but i still rather have grip shifts. either way, youll have a great bike
I too bought the 600 (blue) a month ago, and I took it out for some serious riding this past week (cuz of weather). I had a hardtail before, your absolutely right it is a whole lot of fun. But you answer your question, if you can really afford it go ahead for the 800, I personally really like the brakes on the 600 a couple of squeels in the begining because they are new, after that no problems at all. I too did not want the issue of having to worry about leaks, bleeding brakes etc etc. Althougth I liked that orange/copper color the 800 brings, the blue is dope too :D

Attachments

·
cannondale rider
162 Posts
i love the blue too, which is another reason i got the 600. heres mine, although its not rideable until i get my new wheel. i really miss that bike, my hardtails nice, but i love my prophet

Attachments

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
I really enjoy my 800 and love the orange color. It is better live than in pics. I believe I went with the 800 for the better brakes and fork, and kinda color as well as whatever the salesman pumped me full of. I havent damaged anything yet but I almost wish I would have gone the extra $$ for the 1000.

·
cannondale rider
162 Posts
i think most people either go the 600 or 1000, the 600 being that its the least expensive and a great bike, or the 1000 for the spv and component spec. the 800 is in a akward place in the middle. my 2 cents

·
Registered
78 Posts
mtbidwell said:
I really enjoy my 800 and love the orange color. It is better live than in pics. I believe I went with the 800 for the better brakes and fork, and kinda color as well as whatever the salesman pumped me full of. I havent damaged anything yet but I almost wish I would have gone the extra $$ for the 1000.
I didn't know they had different forks, i just checked the c'dale website. 600/left fluid flow and 800/lefty TPC. what are the difference between the 2?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that the TPV fork has seperate dampening for small and big bumps, so it smooths out the little ones without being too mushy on the big ones. I would get the 600 in red, the 800 in black - and am pretty ambivelent between the colors. I am mostly interested in how the things ride.

thanks,
erik

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is it just me of is there some kind of conspiracy against hydros? I've been riding my Hayes for 3 years now and beside the initial squeaking I had zero problem, no drag, no air in the lines, no leaks, just sheer power while braking. I think that this is all thanks to my LBS (I didn't adjust my brakes) and second thanks to the lines Hayes is using. My father has Martas on his bike and they feel soft - he's about to upgrade to Goodridge hoses for more power, security and bling!

·
Registered
215 Posts
pecka said:
Is it just me of is there some kind of conspiracy against hydros? I've been riding my Hayes for 3 years now and beside the initial squeaking I had zero problem, no drag, no air in the lines, no leaks, just sheer power while braking. I think that this is all thanks to my LBS (I didn't adjust my brakes) and second thanks to the lines Hayes is using. My father has Martas on his bike and they feel soft - he's about to upgrade to Goodridge hoses for more power, security and bling!
Believe me, I'm not crazy about having to replace my expensive Martas. After 2 and a half years of adjusting, bleeding and rubbing I've just had it. These brakes are wonderful when they are in tune but they are a real pain in the ass if they get out of alignment. All of the local shops here hate working on Martas and I hate it even more.

I'm looking for something that I can service myself and that can be adjusted on the trail with a click of a dial. The BB7s seem to be the ticket. I've yet to use them personally(that will change today since my shipment arrived last night) but like I said, I know people that swear by them. I know that the BB7s will have their own issues but there's no way they could be as troublesome as my current setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it seems that people are mixed on the utility of the brakes, but there isn't much of an opinion about the forks. seems like the right thing to do is to jsut get the upgrades on my 600s. unless someone objects... going, going, gone!

thanks guys!

cheers,
erik

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Here's my take on the brakes. Note that I have only tried the Avid BB7, never owned them and I owned only Shimano XT hydros (2004 and 2005, so same brakes):

The Avids have a bit more power but far less modulation, they feel much more like a ON/OFF thing compared with my XT brakes that let me control braking with great precision. I didn't like the feel of the Avids at all and I tried them on different bikes owned by different people.

I was scared about hydraulic brakes maintenance at first but I think they need less than mechanical brakes now. Once they are setup, you just forget them. Just change the pads when they're dead. On the Avids, you need to readjust as the pads wear out, hydros do it on their own like magic!

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have used avid mech for over 2 yrs and i love the low maintance and the ease of adjustment. they stop better than the xtr disc that i'm currently using but for long DH run, the avid pull a lot of strain on your fingers and you will get to the point that your finger don't have the power to pull the lever. but that is only happen if you do a lot of DH run on a single day. i will go with avid for your first disc brake because it very user friendly but if you plan to do a lot of DH run get the hydro.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Exactly

yiucycle said:
i have used avid mech for over 2 yrs and i love the low maintance and the ease of adjustment. they stop better than the xtr disc that i'm currently using but for long DH run, the avid pull a lot of strain on your fingers and you will get to the point that your finger don't have the power to pull the lever. but that is only happen if you do a lot of DH run on a single day. i will go with avid for your first disc brake because it very user friendly but if you plan to do a lot of DH run get the hydro.
You hit the nail on the head. You can't beat them for everyday riding---------however if you go for a downhill that is sustained it tears your arms and fingers up. I have almost had a couple bad accidents because i am rolling and my arms and hands cramp up and it takes everything in me just to stop. However this is after a sustained downhill-----and the guys i am riding with have hydro's and don't slow down. But you can't beat the mech's for every other category!

just my $.02

·
SS Rider
207 Posts
I had a hard time deciding what to get also. I ended up getting a Jekyll that they had in the store and I pick it up tomorrow. Personally I would not bother getting the 800 the big difference goes into the 1000 you will probably be real happy with the 600.

·
Registered
781 Posts
peanut09 said:
I had a hard time deciding what to get also. I ended up getting a Jekyll that they had in the store and I pick it up tomorrow. Personally I would not bother getting the 800 the big difference goes into the 1000 you will probably be real happy with the 600.
Is it '05 model, or las year's w/ Lefty? Frame is great, but when coupled w/ Lefty it's a bomb!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.