Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 prophet 600, and I want to upgrade the drivetrain. It came w/ the xt rear and lx front, and I am tired of contstantly adjusting them. I was looking at the new xtr 970's, or maybe the X.O's. I need help trying to figure the differences in the rear derailleurs. Large cage, short cage, rapid rise. Can you use the new DCLs with the juicy sevens, or do you need to use shimano brakes? Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I am an intermediate rider, but I want to start racing this summer. Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
XT derailleurs are great and you shouldn't have to be constantly adjusting them. You might check or replace your cables and housing. If you need any help try try this site under 'rear derailleur tuneup':

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/index.php

As far as cage length stick to the long cage if you are running a 3x9 setup. Search this forum for 'rapid rise' to learn more than you ever cared about this hot topic. Basically, you can use either a high normal or RR (low normal) derailleur with your shifters. Sorry but I don't know about the brake lever question.

Good luck

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
You cannont use Juicys with the Dual Control levers, they don't use the same type of fluids and mixing both is a big NO-NO! You have to use Shimano levers with Shimano calipers... some have experienced mixing Shimano and Magura with success (they both use mineral oil while most others use nasty DOT fluid) but I would not recommand doing that.

I too think your derailleurs should be fine. I quickly had shifting problems with my setup (XT front, XTR rear, XT Dual Controls) when I got my Prophet but it was the cable that got dirty so shifting became very unreliable. I changed the rear derailleur cable and used a full length housing and I haven't had to adjust the derailleur since.

If you do decide to change derailleurs, you'll probably need a long cage if you have the standard 3 rings and 9 speed cassette setup. If you go with a SRAM rear derailleur, you'll need to change the shifter since SRAM and Shimano don't have the same cable pull ratio and that, you guessed it, means you'll need new brake levers or the whole brakeset. Going High normal or Low normal will work fine but one will inverse how you shift the rear derailleur obviously.

I would first check the cables and make sure the adjustments are fine, you have fine derailleurs and shifters. You can also have the derailleur hanger alignement checked to make sure, many shops can do it for free very quickly. Also check that the front e-type derailleur is in the lower plate position, that's where it should be on Prophets...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Prophet upgrade

I will be upgrading my red 05 Prophet 600 with XTR 970 Group-cranks, front deraileur, rear casette, Sram XO triggers and XO long cage rear deraileur in next few weeks probably Magura SL's. I have been using this combination set up on my Rush and Stumpjumper for last year and could not be happier.:)

Can't wait to get the Prophet back out-I have not given her the attention she deserves-no doubt the stock set up is fine but I would like a change. I will try to post some /photos impressions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.