Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seriously thinking of getting a Prophet 600 as a second ride. I currently have a Gemini as my main bike (freerider at heart).

However, I'm looking at the Prophet so I can hammer the aggressive trails without carting all the weight around. Plus I want to still be able to hit 5 footers along the way.

My questions:
Do the Prophet frames differ model to model (i.e. is the 4000 a different compound than the 600...) or is the frame identical for each...just a different color?

Eye to eye: is the shock a "normal" size? or has C-dale teamed up with Manitou to create some hybrid size that other manufacturers don't make? I would love to put the new Fox DHX air model on there eventually.

Max Tire width on Lefty (and for the rear)? I know it comes with 2.25's, but I'm assuming the stays in the rear will allow for wider....how about the Lefty? Is it strictly based on what the rim will accommodate? What's everyone riding?

Sorry for the silly questions....but I'm not familiar with the Lefty ...or the Prophet for that matter.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
cannondale rider
Joined
·
162 Posts
freeriderB said:
seriously thinking of getting a Prophet 600 as a second ride. I currently have a Gemini as my main bike (freerider at heart).

However, I'm looking at the Prophet so I can hammer the aggressive trails without carting all the weight around. Plus I want to still be able to hit 5 footers along the way.

My questions:
Do the Prophet frames differ model to model (i.e. is the 4000 a different compound than the 600...) or is the frame identical for each...just a different color?

Eye to eye: is the shock a "normal" size? or has C-dale teamed up with Manitou to create some hybrid size that other manufacturers don't make? I would love to put the new Fox DHX air model on there eventually.

Max Tire width on Lefty (and for the rear)? I know it comes with 2.25's, but I'm assuming the stays in the rear will allow for wider....how about the Lefty? Is it strictly based on what the rim will accommodate? What's everyone riding?

Sorry for the silly questions....but I'm not familiar with the Lefty ...or the Prophet for that matter.

Thanks in advance.
all of the prophet frames are the same. the frame builder doesnt know if it will be a 4000 or 600 until it is painted. i belive the shock is the normal cannondale size, 1.5 headtube. you can put a normal fork on with headset reducers. im not sure what the max tire size is. im runing the stock irc trailbears, but probably put something smaller when these wear out. the prohet 1000 has 2.35s. i assume that it can take larger tires, but im not sure. i love my prophet 600 and cant wait til i get it back from the shop with my new custom wheels
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
I don't own a Prophet.

rshank3499 said:
all of the prophet frames are the same. the frame builder doesnt know if it will be a 4000 or 600 until it is painted. i belive the shock is the normal cannondale size, 1.5 headtube. you can put a normal fork on with headset reducers. im not sure what the max tire size is. im runing the stock irc trailbears, but probably put something smaller when these wear out. the prohet 1000 has 2.35s. i assume that it can take larger tires, but im not sure. i love my prophet 600 and cant wait til i get it back from the shop with my new custom wheels
I do own a Gemini.

My understanding is that the Prophet 4X version has a thru-axle swingarm. Consider the 4X frame if you're racing 4X, dual salom or just want rear wheel compatibility with your Gemini. That's assuming your version of the Gemini has thru-axle too.
 

·
Poser
Joined
·
263 Posts
freeriderB said:
Eye to eye: is the shock a "normal" size? or has C-dale teamed up with Manitou to create some hybrid size that other manufacturers don't make? I would love to put the new Fox DHX air model on there eventually.
Yes, it's a normal size. 7.875 eye-to-eye, 200mm stroke. You can find a zillion Swingers and Progressives in that size, but a DHX might be tough, I don't think I've ever seen one that short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4X Prophet frameset - any different other than thru axle?

racerzero said:
I do own a Gemini.

My understanding is that the Prophet 4X version has a thru-axle swingarm. Consider the 4X frame if you're racing 4X, dual salom or just want rear wheel compatibility with your Gemini. That's assuming your version of the Gemini has thru-axle too.
**********************
so the 4x has a thru axle, is it beefed up anywhere else? Is the overall riding geometry spec'd the same as the other Prophet frames? or is it tailored more towards a race frame?

I saw that the 4x is lumped in with the others in the geometry section of the C-dale website.

I'm thinking there must be something else (other than a thru axle that separates the 4x from the entry line 600 frame).

Perhaps it's just the way the components are spec'd out?

Also...
My gemini is a 900 (regular QR rear).

I was just wondering since I would gravitate toward the frame that's more on the FR side as opposed to the XC side (but it appears this isn't even an issue)...

Thanks for the info....
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
freeriderB said:
**********************
so the 4x has a thru axle, is it beefed up anywhere else? Is the overall riding geometry spec'd the same as the other Prophet frames? or is it tailored more towards a race frame?

I saw that the 4x is lumped in with the others in the geometry section of the C-dale website.

I'm thinking there must be something else (other than a thru axle that separates the 4x from the entry line 600 frame).

Perhaps it's just the way the components are spec'd out?

Also...
My gemini is a 900 (regular QR rear).

I was just wondering since I would gravitate toward the frame that's more on the FR side as opposed to the XC side (but it appears this isn't even an issue)...

Thanks for the info....
The 4X is beefed up, swingarm and I think the front end too because Cannondale's fork height limit specs on the 4X is taller than the regular Prophets so if it can handle a taller fork... There are also mounts for the chainguide on the 4X.

As for geometry, I think it's the same but as most XC and All-Mountain user put the geometry in it's XC setting, you have the FR setting that lowers the BB, slackens the head (67.5 vs 69) and seat tubes. I'm sure that it's a pretty racy bike, it was developped with Cedric Gracia after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
Second Wheelset

Dan Gerous said:
The 4X is beefed up, swingarm and I think the front end too because Cannondale's fork height limit specs on the 4X is taller than the regular Prophets so if it can handle a taller fork... There are also mounts for the chainguide on the 4X.

As for geometry, I think it's the same but as most XC and All-Mountain user put the geometry in it's XC setting, you have the FR setting that lowers the BB, slackens the head (67.5 vs 69) and seat tubes. I'm sure that it's a pretty racy bike, it was developped with Cedric Gracia after all.
Consider getting a second wheelset for your Gemini. Build it with XC rims and mount 2.1 XC tires. That should lighten a couple pounds off your Gemini. Gracia used a Gemini for 4X before the Prophet came out. The Gemini frame is roughly the same weight as the SC Heckler so it's pretty light.

I took my new Gemini for a long epic ride for the first time on Sunday. Went to a new trail section that I've never ridden before. Did a bit of climbing and hike a bike sections going up. I was not initially impressed with the new trail going up. I changed my mind about the trail coming down. I'm glad I had the Gemini. It ate up the gnarly hike a bike section coming down. Lighter wheelset and tires makes the Gemini a decent trail bike.

(I'm assuming you still have the Sherman Breakout on the bike. Running a dual crown makes any bike a chore for long trail rides.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Gemini is a true freeride bike

racerzero said:
Consider getting a second wheelset for your Gemini. Build it with XC rims and mount 2.1 XC tires. That should lighten a couple pounds off your Gemini. Gracia used a Gemini for 4X before the Prophet came out. The Gemini frame is roughly the same weight as the SC Heckler so it's pretty light.

I took my new Gemini for a long epic ride for the first time on Sunday. Went to a new trail section that I've never ridden before. Did a bit of climbing and hike a bike sections going up. I was not initially impressed with the new trail going up. I changed my mind about the trail coming down. I'm glad I had the Gemini. It ate up the gnarly hike a bike section coming down. Lighter wheelset and tires makes the Gemini a decent trail bike.

(I'm assuming you still have the Sherman Breakout on the bike. Running a dual crown makes any bike a chore for long trail rides.)
***********************************************************
I'm running a Super T, Fox DHX 5.0, and heavy wheels on my Gemini. I would say it's at least 37 pounds. I really love the Gemini overall for freeriding (and trail riding), but I'd rather buy a 2nd bike because it's just easier.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top