Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the 4x TR and the 4000 (apart from the shimano / sram/ / chain retention and wheel stuff) Why should the 4x TR be more suitable than the 4000 for 4x cross activities

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
thru axle

bad ronald said:
It has a thru 12 rear axle and ISGS tabs for mounting a chain guide.
The thru axle stiffens the rear. A stiffer rear tracks through turns better so you have better handling. Better handling equals faster speeds through the turns.

Thru axle is a pain in the butt to remove the rear wheel though.

·
Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
645 Posts
3 out of my 5 bikes are thru axle. I wouldn't run anything else. It takes only about 2 seconds longer to remove than a QR axle. Just spin your 5mm and the bolts are out yank on the axle and you are done.

-Ron

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
bad ronald said:
3 out of my 5 bikes are thru axle. I wouldn't run anything else. It takes only about 2 seconds longer to remove than a QR axle. Just spin your 5mm and the bolts are out yank on the axle and you are done.

-Ron
The thru axle on my fork is easy to remove and put back on. My Gemini has the Cannondale ovalized axle in the rear. It took me 15 minutes to line it up the first time. I can do it in a few seconds now but it's still a pain every once in a while to make sure it's lined up.

I agree. This is my first thru axle bike. I love the way this bike can rail and change directions with precision. I won't get a QR bike unless it's strickly XC.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Prophet 4x Team Replica and Rohloff Speedhub

Does someone know if thru axle and Rohloff Speedhub would work together?
Although Cannondale says that it is possible but is not recommended

so, what do you guys think about that?

J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.