Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Right now I am looking at the Prophet 400 as an all mountain FS ride, but I'm wondering if there are any other bikes I should really be taking a look at in that price range. I'm thinking this mostly because I'm a fairly big guy (230 lbs) and I'm wondering if there would be a more efficient frame style for climbing. So are there any DW or Horst link bikes I should look at around this price range? Or any other bikes that might suit me in general. Thanks very much.

Aaron

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am looking at three bikes right now.The Prophet 400, Prophet 600 ( $1,400, last year model and demo bike) and Santa Cruz Heckler. The Heckler will cost you more, about $400-600 more. I just got off the trail with the Prophet 600 demo bike. I jammed for about 4hrs. They would not let me demo the 400.(there pushing this left over) Anyway, nice bike and it did fine.Very light.Very good climber and I was climbing over all kids of stuff. It had the Radium R rear shock wich does feel tight. It never came close to using the full travel.No big jumps but I rode it hard. Overall I was impressed and am thinking of buying it, but not yet ready to before giving the Heckler a long run.

You mat want to try Kona's line. TYou can get a pretty good one for the same range ~1300with Fox shock package. I really like the 400 and if they would let me demo it I may pull the trigger.The only diff between the 400 and 600 is the Lefty shock, thats it! The shock did fine, it just didn't blow me away today. In fairness to the Lefty though I do not have a bunch of experience with different Forks. Also take a look at Jamis Dakar line. Good bike that always gets top reviews that will be in that price range. Good luck

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.