Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First impresion

Frame is the same sa Prophet,but fork is shorter and BB height is lower for cca. 2 cm.
Bike is extremly responsive an kind of full of fast transfer energy suspension. Comparing to my Prophet 600 is more gentle. Fork is stiffer than lefty max 140.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The Prophet SL is pitched at the rider looking for a Marathon race bike that can also be used for trail riding but without the weight of a Prophet.
The 120mm travel front nad back is non adjustable but the geometry still is.

This is the bike that everyone has been refering to as the "Darwin" (which does not exist)
Cannondale are working on a New Scalpel but apparently it is for the 2007 model year. 2006 MOdel year Scalpel's may get some Carnon treatment but this is not confirmed yet.

Interesting though, at the recent Cape Epic MTB Stage race, I had a chat with Christoph Sauser of the Siemens Mobile Maxxis Cannondale MTB team and his bike is completley custom built. Different headangle, top tube length and it weighs a sliver over 10kg.
They brought this bike because for a long stage race they wanted reliability and comfort. The std Carbon race bike weight just over 9kg!!! :D

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The Weight difference between the Prophet 3000SL and the Prophet 4000 is about 800gr.
But I don't think the Prophet 4000 will be available for much longer.

A Prophet 4000 can weigh as little as 25lbs or just under 12kg but this is with a XC set up.
I think future prophets will feature tougher components like Shimano HOne and Saint while the SL range will feature the XC/ All mountain type setups.
this is where the weight differences will come in. and will be bigger than it is currently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bike (German magazine) have tested both Prophet 4000 (European) and Prophet 3000SL.

Weight (without pedals): Prophet 4000 11,6kg, Prophet 3000SL 11,5kg.

3000SL have a Lefty Max with reduced travel (120mm) and Fox RP3 shock.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
yues i know that.
what I am refering to is the 2006 model year.
Prophet SL is essentially a mid year upgrade.
For 2006 my understanding of the Prophet range from the suppliers is that the Prophet SL will be the Enduro/Marathon/light FR bikes and effectively take over from the Jekyll completely.
For the 2006 model yr, the Prophet will be pitched more as Light free ride bike and be fitted with larger disc rotors, a longer travel fork and rear shocks, equipment like Shimano Hone and Saint with some Sprinklings of XT and XTR thrown in, heavier wheels etc to suit the Light FR image.
The Prophet will also have a heavier frame, while currently they may actually be sharing the same frame but just badge differently.

What the FS range should look like for 2006 is:

Scalpel : XC Race / Marathon race bike
Prophet SL : All Mountain/ Enduro/ Marathon bike for less enthusiatic riders
Prophet : FR / Black Diamond Longer travel, more robust spec than SL Version
Gemini : Covering FR and DH depending on spec.

Currently is looks like this:

Scalpel : XC RAce / Marathon
Prophet / Jekyl: All Mountian /EnduroMarathon/FRLight
Gemini : FR and DH

What you're seeing with the Prophet 4000 and 3000SL test is an overlap where essentially two similar bikes were pitched against each other. Perhap Cannondale Europe laucnhed the SL too soon which is leading to confusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.