Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prophet 1000 has had a rear brake (Juicy 7) issue from day 1: the caliper appears to be slightly to one side and gives plenty of pad clearance on the outside but touches on the inside face of the disc. The dealer has tried 3 times to correct this but I think all he has done is the screwdriver forcing the pads back trick and the Avid adjuster bolts.
The dealer said it was normal and would go away after a couple of rides. Well its still there.

It looks as if I could put a thin spacer in the mounting bolts to centralize the caliper more accurately. Do these kits exist? Has anyone else had a similar problem with Prophets?
Thanks.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
tonyg said:
My Prophet 1000 has had a rear brake (Juicy 7) issue from day 1: the caliper appears to be slightly to one side and gives plenty of pad clearance on the outside but touches on the inside face of the disc. The dealer has tried 3 times to correct this but I think all he has done is the screwdriver forcing the pads back trick and the Avid adjuster bolts.
The dealer said it was normal and would go away after a couple of rides. Well its still there.

It looks as if I could put a thin spacer in the mounting bolts to centralize the caliper more accurately. Do these kits exist? Has anyone else had a similar problem with Prophets?
Thanks.
Don't know about it's being a problem with other bikes, and you are correct, typically, brakes have a natural "centered" point that they like to get to. Once there, shim to take care of any rubbing. I am surprised you dealer did not do this, as it's very common practice, and every shop I have ever been in, has a drawer full of different thickness shims, for just such a job. Good thinking, sounds like you should replace the service guy at your LBS=:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's not really an issue with the prophet, but the brake. It took me about 2 minutes to correctly set up mine on my prophet at my shop, and it's been perfect since. If you're having problems, go back to the dealer and ask them to remove the caliper and set it back up. Make sure you test it out before you leave, and if there's still a problem, ask your shop to swap the CPS hardware for your caliper and check the disc tabs. You invested a bunch in buying a 1000, so don't settle for crap, if none of this solves the problem, ask them to swap your entire brake with one from another prophet 1000 floor model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.