Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
k1dude said:
I read the Prophet 1000 review on www.feedthehabit.com and they mentioned "Noticeable brake-jack robs braking power". Has anyone else noticed brake jack on their Prophets? How bad is it?
Searching the what bike to buy and the brakes forums would probably give you the most info.

Test bikes with a single pivot and curved axle path and bikes with a straight axle path and maybe you'll find any brake jack is not an issue, or some other charactisteric of a particular bike weighs more in your decision making process.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
It shouldn't brake jack more than a Heckler or a Yeti ASX or any single pivot with the pivot located somewhere around that position.

You'll loose some suspension performance when braking over the rough (the suspension compress a bit, stiffens and by consequence it'll bounce over the rough, loosing some traction)

But yet... you'll be mainly braking with the front brake so it's not like a big issue as some people make it look like. I haven't heard of Steve Peat complaining about his Orange. Worst case scenario, just toss in a floating brake and you're done.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
k1dude said:
I read the Prophet 1000 review on www.feedthehabit.com and they mentioned "Noticeable brake-jack robs braking power". Has anyone else noticed brake jack on their Prophets? How bad is it?
A suspension with a very rearward path above sag to top-out such as a high monopivot will produce more suspension stiffening than lower monopivots or most floating axle 4-bars.

It's not a big deal except to some expert riders. But it is harder to modulate the rear brake to avoid skidding like a hardtail in loose bumpy terrain.

Heavy downhill bikes with rider weight far back cures the DH use problem. The problem shows up more with lighter more forward weighted trail bike designs.

- ray

·
Registered
981 Posts
Although I have not ridden a Prophet, I have ridden many single pivot bikes over the years (Superlight, Bullit, San Andreas and curretly my KHS).

The brake jack is there, but it's just fine for every day trail riding. I never thought, it was problem because I am still riding single pivot bikes after all these years. Lots of bikes nowadays place the pivot in a location where your own body weight will partially overcome the brake jack effect.

It's really a non issue IMO, but others will differ.

How experienced of a rider are you? When I was first starting out, I used the rear brake too much because of fears of endo-ing. But over time I learned to ride with mostly just the front brake and never really worry about rear brake jack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.