Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been running XO Twist Shifters on my Cannondale Rush, and am loving them! I had a quick question about barrel adjustments though. My rear derailleur is off a bit (probably due to cable stretch as everything was brand new earlier this spring). It basically "acts" like it is going to change gears, and will "jump" to another gear for a few teeth or so, then back down. The problem is that I can't seem to correct the problem through the barrel adjuster. Should I just redo the low and high screws on the RD, and if so, what is the "neutral point" to set the barrel adjuster to (so many revolutions from fully closed?)? I've checked the SRAM manual, but it isn't the most helpful... I really love my twist shifters, but gotta get this one issue fixed ;) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
69 Posts
for what it's worth

The H & L adjustments are for RD travel and shouldn't have anything to do with your shifting woes. I have never heard of a "neutral point" for adjustment barrels (on any index system) - try turning in the barrel all the way, shift down to the small cog, loosen the cable on the RD, pull it tight & bolt it down. Then try shifting up - if it won't go, give the barrel a 1/4 turn at a time until it shifts - if it overshifts, then back off either the barrel (or at the RD fixing bolt if you managed to get the cable too tight initially). The dialing in of SRAM is pretty much the same as any other system since the concept is the same so if you have a Shimano manual around, take a look at that.

How do you like the Rush? I bought a Jamis Dakar XC FS last year and kinda wonder if I'd should have waited for the Rush.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Be sure you didn't bend your derailleur hanger. No adjustment of cable tension can fix a bent derailleur hanger, even a slightly bent hanger. If you had solid shifting, and then after some time the shifting degraded due to cable stretch, it should only be a 1/4 turn or so, maybe 1/2 turn of the barrel to take up the slack. I'd definitely look at the hanger if you're still having issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll definately have to look into the bent hangar thing. I guess I never fully thought out the barrel adjuster thing, but I was always thinking you'd leave it in a neutral position so you could adjust the tension either looser or tighter. Now that I think about it, I guess you'd never want it looser, hence screwing it in all the way. I will take a closer look tonight, but I'm sure you are right.

As far as the Rush goes, it is the perfect bike for me. I started with a Gary FIsher hardtail (too stiff), moved to a Jekyll (too spongy of a ride, lots of pedal-bob), then went to the Prophet when it came out. I loved the Pro-pedal on the Prophet but it was still pretty big (both ground clearance, travel length) for the trails I ride. I do mostly XC with numerous creek crossings and rock gardens, but the trails themselves tend to be pretty windy, and tight. The Rush is the PERFECT bike for me :) Think the great ride/platform of the prophet with lower ground clearance and tighter profile. After riding mine, my brother then rode the Giant Trance, and ended up going with the Rush as well. He was coming off of an NRS, and wanted a little more travel. Neither one of us have any complaints! I've never ridden the Dakar; what do you think about it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
good luck

Good luck with your fix - I'm sure that you will get it squared away. This is the first Jamis I have had and I am happy with it now that I have a year's worth of personalizing done. A few years ago I had a Pro Flex so I don't have a lot to compare the Dakar too. It climbs pretty well for its weight and downhills are a blast and I guess that's the best endorsement any bike can have. The only gripe that I have is with the OEM Avid Juicy 5 brakes which have been problems for me (sticking pistons) - looking for a replacement set will probably be the next upgrade.

·
Registered
144 Posts
check the cable lengths

If the cable length is too short it can cause shifting. Also, like the above post said, make sure to check the derail hanger is not bent. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts