Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally when I do the big-big technique, the links line up pretty well. Sometimes I'm off by a half segment, so it's easy to decide what to do. But what do you do if the links are off by a full segment (female-female)? Do you go with too short of a chain (add 1 segment) or do you go with too long of a chain (add 3 segments)? I'm thinking too long to save the suspension and hubs from damage. But I don't want to too long and have chain slap problems on my chainstay.

And this time it's not big-big because there's a bashguard. So it's big-middle. Does that make any difference? Or does your middle chainring now just become your new "big"?

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
When deciding the chain length on a bike with a bash guard I just play around with the length, but I pretty much just take out as much chain as I can so that it still shifts good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crisillo said:
I always go big-big + 2 (just like on the shimano/sram instructions)..in this case your "big" is probably 32T...but big-big still applies
Yeah, but in this case I can't go +2. I have to either go +1 or +3. So which do I do?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
k1dude said:
Yeah, but in this case I can't go +2. I have to either go +1 or +3. So which do I do?
I think the problem is the definition of a link...a link is about an inch of chain (outer plates plus inner plates) .. (therefore a half-link is called that way)

anyhow I would try the bigger length first..just to be safe

half-link:

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
412 Posts
daugela said:
Do you run the chain through the rear der or not on this method?
No, you bypass the rear derailleur and just run the chain straight from the chainring, to the rear cogs, and back again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.