Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the rider going the other way tells you how many are behind them.
don't just say "OKAY" or "Thanks"
You should also respond with the number of people behind you
"Single", "One behind", "Two behind" etc

Some riders are pretty fast and if your in front of your group this is your job

I cross paths with lots of beginners who don't know about this and I thought I would
post it here

·
Registered
524 Posts
Where I ride I share the trails with horse owners. If this is the case in your area, always stop and walk your bike past the horse and it's owner. The horses can get spooked and throw their rider or hurt whoever is walking it.

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
Same with hikers/walkers. be polite to them give them space and let them know if anyone else if following.
this will mean more trails staying open for MTBers

·
Registered
309 Posts
See, I always say "I'm not married, either". Who knew I was being a jerk?! :rolleyes:

Trail etiquette is indeed important, but it's not as big a deal in some areas as in others. For instance, SE Michigan singletrack generally only goes in one direction, but you never know, and it pays to be as polite as possible. :thumbsup:

Ross

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Myself, I avoid the married / not confusion by saying "just me" rather than "single" or "two more" or whatever the case may be.

For areas where you're exploring, I like to call back to riders coming up behind me...get over so they can pass and tell them "I'm just exploring, so feel free to pass."

Also, if you have to share the trail with lots of hikers, dogs and horses, a bear bell is a good idea. I have a regular bell for most of my riding, but for heavily used trails, I'll put the bear bell on my bars....saves a lot of finger work ringing all the time and lets people know where I am.

·
Registered
386 Posts
MSU_Grad_121 said:
See, I always say "I'm not married, either". Who knew I was being a jerk?! :rolleyes:

Trail etiquette is indeed important, but it's not as big a deal in some areas as in others. For instance, SE Michigan singletrack generally only goes in one direction, but you never know, and it pays to be as polite as possible. :thumbsup:

Ross

I'm in SE Michigan as well. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
309 Posts
kylejohn4543 said:
I'm in SE Michigan as well. Where do you ride?
Of late, nowhere too exciting. I'm still recovering from a knee surgery, so I'm pretty much stickin to roads for now. When I was still able to hit the trails, I'd do Stoney, Poto, Bloomer, Highland, Pontiac Lake, Island Lake, Brighton, pretty much anywhere. How about you?

Ross :thumbsup:

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
For other bikers the single, 1 back, 2 back etc works well but I usually flat out say theres (Insert number of riders here) behind me to non bikers because most of the time I get the "what are you talking about" look as they turn around to look at me get in the middle of the trail and cause more chance of a wreck when I say something like "One back".

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
To bikers: Solo, 1 back, etc...
To hikers, Since I slow for them, I have time to say "there's two more behind me"

I almost hate to claim "Solo" status, since I'm often unaware of who might be right behind me when riding alone. I could indicate it's just me, and fail to alert another trail user to someone closing fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts