Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike broke the day before a 3 day ride I had been planning for months with my friends. The bike shop said the part was special order and the bike was not rideable. I called my friend and asked to borrow one of his old bikes. They kept thanking me for being calm about the whole thing. Which caught me as odd as the breakdown was partially my fault.

In comes roadie with his lower end road bike demanding to see the service manager. Apparently he is very upset over how his bike is shifting and how it doesn't shift right under load. They tell him his technique is the problem and not the shifter and he has a meltdown that would have impressed mel gipson.

Apparently this is a bit over the top. At the same time mine was much less than what was expected. So how is the meltdown done properly? I don't want people to think I am not a real cyclist or a total newb or something.

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Convince yourself of these three things and it will come naturally.

#1. The sun rises and sets in my spandex.
#2. I race. This makes me special.
#3. People that work at bike shops are beneath me, even though I have to go to them for simple things like shifting adjustments.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moustache rider said:
Convince yourself of these three things and it will come naturally.

#1. The sun rises and sets in my spandex.
#2. I race. This makes me special.
#3. People that work at bike shops are beneath me, even though I have to go to them for simple things like shifting adjustments.
I can manage those but is there more to it? Do you just go in and do the whole thing improv style? Should I practice my enraged scream at home? Who do I threaten to call when they can't help me with my extreme demands; should I threaten to call the manufactuer of the bike, or the manufactuer of the part, the BBB or my congressman? When I am told to leave which display do I almost punch on my way out but then back off at the last possible second? Is this improv again or do they hate having the water bottle display knocked over more than the powerbar display.

I can't find a reference for this anywhere on the net.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sparkle Bear said:
I can manage those but is there more to it? Do you just go in and do the whole thing improv style? Should I practice my enraged scream at home? Who do I threaten to call when they can't help me with my extreme demands; should I threaten to call the manufactuer of the bike, or the manufactuer of the part, the BBB or my congressman? When I am told to leave which display do I almost punch on my way out but then back off at the last possible second? Is this improv again or do they hate having the water bottle display knocked over more than the powerbar display.

I can't find a reference for this anywhere on the net.
As am reading this, am imagining a guy throwing a fit while decked out in spandex :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hill_Lover said:
As am reading this, am imagining a guy throwing a fit while decked out in spandex :lol: :lol: :lol:
Down to the M frames and heel down elf shoes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
One Pivot said:
just remember, no matter what breaks, no matter how severe and obvious.. you were "just riding along"!
No, no, no... That's only for mountain bikers. If you're a roadie, you were at the front of the pack on your training ride, pulling the group along (mid-twenties) when the mechanical caused you to have to pull aside for repairs and let the next guy pull. He can't maintain nearly your pace so the training ride was ruined for everybody. Only your superb bike handling skills avoided a devestating crash.

David B.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Just get in touch with you spoiled inner child. The rest is spontaneous.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
My favorite is when the customer comes in and wants his bike worked on yesterday.

Had a customer come in yesterday and bring in his childs mountain bike. The 8 year old girl crashed and broke a brake lever and a couple of other things on the bike. Not a big issue? Right? Wrong. He pretty much demands that we fix the brake lever under warranty - not going to happen - and he needs it by tomorrow evening. As they are going away on vacation. My manager tells the guy that its not covered under warranty and he says "But she's only 8 years old". I told my manager today that she might be 8 y/o, but crashes like an adult.

So I get to play bad guy tomorrow and tell the customer it probably will not be completed until Monday, as I was off yesterday from work, and still have 2-3 days of work ahead of me before I can even get to customers bike.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
frdfandc said:
My favorite is when the customer comes in and wants his bike worked on yesterday.

Had a customer come in yesterday and bring in his childs mountain bike. The 8 year old girl crashed and broke a brake lever and a couple of other things on the bike. Not a big issue? Right? Wrong. He pretty much demands that we fix the brake lever under warranty - not going to happen - and he needs it by tomorrow evening. As they are going away on vacation. My manager tells the guy that its not covered under warranty and he says "But she's only 8 years old". I told my manager today that she might be 8 y/o, but crashes like an adult.

So I get to play bad guy tomorrow and tell the customer it probably will not be completed until Monday, as I was off yesterday from work, and still have 2-3 days of work ahead of me before I can even get to customers bike.
Actually this should be covered under warranty and I am as mad as I was when I was in there. I'll see you tomorrow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
jdreher55 said:
Actually this should be covered under warranty and I am as mad as I was when I was in there. I'll see you tomorrow.
Will someone be running the video camera for this????? And post the you tube link!!!!!

SB: Chances are when you have problems in the future you will get better service and maybe even quicker turn around time considering the way you handled this! Is this your regular LBS?

JD: Why the HECK did you leave the TC area?????? It is great up there! I raced Iceman last year for the first time, it was a lot of fun! And celebrated by having dinner at Don's Drive Inn ! :thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
jdreher55 said:
I hope you're being felicitous. Because that would suck to have the customer drop in a thread like this. :eek:

Edit: saw your next post, I'm a little slow at typing.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
96m2comp said:
Will someone be running the video camera for this????? And post the you tube link!!!!!

SB: Chances are when you have problems in the future you will get better service and maybe even quicker turn around time considering the way you handled this! Is this your regular LBS?

JD: Why the HECK did you leave the TC area?????? It is great up there! I raced Iceman last year for the first time, it was a lot of fun! And celebrated by having dinner at Don's Drive Inn ! :thumbsup:

Chris
You are killing me talking about Don's Drive Inn!!!! I love that place, best burgers and shakes you can buy. Not sure why I left honestly, I miss that place:madman: .
I raced the Iceman back in '97 and '98. It is a really fun race but when I did it there was actually some snow on the ground, not sure if there has been in the last few years. I hope to get up there and race it again in the next few years.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
the-one1 said:
I hope you're being felicitous. Because that would suck to have the customer drop in a thread like this. :eek:

Edit: saw your next post, I'm a little slow at typing.
Lol that would be something wouldn't it? :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
This last year the weather couldn't have been better! I am hoping for the same this year, plus my wife is racing the sluch cup.

Whatever you do, NEVER eat at the Don's in Wixom. Though I haven't gone back since I first tried it shortly after they opened, it just wasn't the half as good!

Chris

1 - 20 of 41 Posts