Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During steep descents I find my balance to be best when my hips are pushed back to the point where my seat is actually in front of my groin. This has me a little nervous about what would happen if i wiped out, so I was wondering if this the proper postion to be in or not. :confused:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yep, for stupid steeps, I have had my sternum resting on the seat. That's leaning way back. A narrow saddle and shorts that do not snag are vital.

Nothing is more scary than being over the rear wheel, behind the seat, and snagging your shorts on the seat.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
laurenlex said:
Nothing is more scary than being over the rear wheel, behind the seat, and snagging your shorts on the seat.
Haha, yeah that would be scary.

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbsup:

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Also make sure you don't lower your shorts onto the back tire. You can avoid this if you keep your body parallel with the top-tube while your mid-section rests on the seat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You'll get used to riding in that position to where it seems normal being like that, even as far back as laurenlex mentioned, it'll feel normal after a while.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
jeffscott said:
and then having one foot unclip from the pedal.
Done that, still don't know how I didn't eat it.

If you're approaching a long descent, get off and lower your seat. Makes getting behind the seat a lot easier.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
since no-one mentioned it

you know to lower your saddle before the descent, right? That makes it way easier to get back and not snag shorts.

hope that helps, Jim

·
Go Lakers!
233 Posts
jeffscott said:
and then having one foot unclip from the pedal.
Or do not wear clips, get platforms and do not worry about unclipping one foot. I have not moved on to the clipless challenge, I prefer working on my skills and balance before I even consider that. I like having my feet free. Definately, get your body back, if you can imagine a crouch position. I snag my shorts all the time so lowering the seat does help with this and with your center of gravity. Body Back and whatever you do let the bike roll, stay off the front brake when you get to the bottom or you might do a tumble over the bars like I have done.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JimC. said:
you know to lower your saddle before the descent, right? That makes it way easier to get back and not snag shorts.

hope that helps, Jim
Seriously? I had never even thought of that. How long of descent would you do that for?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Any descent that scares me....

But more and more I leave the seat in its normal position, has I learn to manouver behind it better. (I lost the baggies cause of seat snags).

The last non-bail technique (believe it or not) is to unclip the downhill foot, or either foot. and drag it. This can act as very effective brake, and with your chest on the seat you can slowly navigate some very steep terrain. (Can't do this without clips cause you can't keep the front foot on the pedal.)

As you gain confidence you can then ride it more properly.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
another more visible example

where you can see the saddle all the way down for CBC, Norshore, Vancouver, BC.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts