Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a 34mm fork on your Mack 429C? The current build kits show only 32mm available. Do you find this bike needs a 34mm? Or is it just right with a 32mm? I don't want more travel, just a stiffer front end much like the Yeti SB95 I just demo'd. Thanks!

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
In search of the same.

I'm running a Float 29, 32 spaced to 110mm of travel.

The chassis of the 429C is so stiff it really points out the flex in the fork. I've considered a Trace 29 from x-fusion as it gets good reviews and it 34mm, the available unicrown steerer/crown is also real appealing from a creaky crown perspective (just had my fox replaced for the creaky crown... seems like an annual occurance).

But the 429 is based around a 44mm offset fork with 120 being the max travel. AC of about 425. At 110 it's about 115

The trace has a 51mm offset, so it could potentially change the handling, though the AC is good.

A pike reduced down to about 110mm of travel would seem to be the ticket to keep the AC reasonable at 120mm the pike is 531. I'm considering getting a pike and using the 120mm airshaft and trying to mill off 5-8mm and hope there are enough threads.

In a perfect world RS would put a 110 29er option out there for the Pike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Trace RL on my large 429c and it really is an excellent fork. Really stiff, super plush on the small stuff and the lockout in nicely firm.

Pike is probably equal or even better, but a bit more expensive.

Nevertheless compared to Fox, Trace is on another level. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Paterfamilias
805 Posts
I used a 34, and had it shimmed to 130mm and I really liked that fork. If I was more of a XC racer, I would have been fine on the 32. I'm a heavy rider - 235 with gear, and running the 34 made a big difference for me. I ran the fork a little soft so the bike climbed well. When you pointed it down hill, it wanted to go fast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.