Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm in a little of a quandary right now… Here it goes: I've a 2004 Kona Stinky Primo and it comes with a 600 x 2.55" spring. I weigh in at 165lbs w/ my riding gear so I'm wondering if the Vanilla's oversprung?? The most "extreme" stuff I will possibly be doing are just some dirt jumps and nothing more than 5' to flat (ok stop laughing :D )

I did a little searching and here's what I came up with:-

Kona's tech manuals recommend a 16mm sag. With about ¼ to ½ turn of the preload ring, I can get about 13mm of sag (about 20% sag from the 63mm/2.5" stroke.)
Is the 3mm shortfall significant??
p.s. Where do I actually start counting the no. of turns on the preload ring?? I assumed that it was the point where I turn the preload ring just sufficiently to stop any vertical free play in the spring along the shock body?? Is that right??

I also search the forums and stumbled upon the following formulas to gauge estimated spring weights:

Method A:
1. Your wt times 0.6 = 165 * 0.6 =99
2. shock stroke times 0.25 = 2.5 * 0.25=0.625
3. rear wheel travel/2 = 7 / 2 =3.5
4. Estimated spring wt = (3.5*99)/0.625 = 555#
(# +/- 50lbs) Recommended for me: 550lbs

Method B:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8200
Recommended for me: 450lbs

The results from the 2 different methods are quite different (550 vs 450)…. So I'm really confused….would really appreciate if you guys could chime in with some advice please. TIA :)

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
snoozeball said:
Hi all, I'm in a little of a quandary right now… Here it goes: I've a 2004 Kona Stinky Primo and it comes with a 600 x 2.55" spring. I weigh in at 165lbs w/ my riding gear so I'm wondering if the Vanilla's oversprung?? The most "extreme" stuff I will possibly be doing are just some dirt jumps and nothing more than 5' to flat (ok stop laughing :D )

I did a little searching and here's what I came up with:-

Kona's tech manuals recommend a 16mm sag. With about ¼ to ½ turn of the preload ring, I can get about 13mm of sag (about 20% sag from the 63mm/2.5" stroke.)
Is the 3mm shortfall significant??
p.s. Where do I actually start counting the no. of turns on the preload ring?? I assumed that it was the point where I turn the preload ring just sufficiently to stop any vertical free play in the spring along the shock body?? Is that right??

I also search the forums and stumbled upon the following formulas to gauge estimated spring weights:

Method A:
1. Your wt times 0.6 = 165 * 0.6 =99
2. shock stroke times 0.25 = 2.5 * 0.25=0.625
3. rear wheel travel/2 = 7 / 2 =3.5
4. Estimated spring wt = (3.5*99)/0.625 = 555#
(# +/- 50lbs) Recommended for me: 550lbs

Method B:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8200
Recommended for me: 450lbs

The results from the 2 different methods are quite different (550 vs 450)…. So I'm really confused….would really appreciate if you guys could chime in with some advice please. TIA :)
Sounds like you could use a 50 pound lighter spring to get the recommended sag for general riding. You'll need to consult with dirt jumpers for best set up for landing jumps, probably lots of compression damping, and a firmer specific length spring so your sag is still enough.

- ray

1 - 2 of 2 Posts