Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who have used an aftermarket propedal rear with their FSR XC ('02 or older), how do you like the performance? I've read that the propedal feature can adversely affect small bump compliance.

Btw, I'm using a Risse 4" link instead of the stock 2.75" link.

Thanks!

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Propedal

It does slightly affect small bump compliance, but the improvement in pedalling is more than worth it.

Have a look at the thread further down.

KR

·
Registered
261 Posts
With the '04 triad...

I get to switch back and forth as needed, but after having two FSR-XC's I find I run my new Stumpjumper FSR more often in the fully active mode. I only use the pro-pedal mode when its fairly smooth, instead of truly locking it out. Another freind with the same bike, almost never even uses the pro-pedal, just fully active.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I went to it earlier this year...

pocketplayer said:
To those who have used an aftermarket propedal rear with their FSR XC ('02 or older), how do you like the performance? I've read that the propedal feature can adversely affect small bump compliance.

Btw, I'm using a Risse 4" link instead of the stock 2.75" link.

Thanks!
But I'm running at 5 inches in back with BETD link. It climbs like the stock 3 inch mode, but the five inches makes a huge improvement descending. So I think it helps with 5 inches of travel, I ran the propedal a couple rides in four inch, and the suspension did not seem as compliant in rough climbing as with the std. float.

You may want try Float AVA instead of propedal, you can dial the air chamber out and get more useable travel. The FSR design is pretty efficient, I think anything less than five inches, the platform stuff is not needed.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's between getting an ava sleeve and the entire pro pedal shock

Thanks for the info. Since I'm not getting full travel with my 02 float, I'm trying to decide between getting an AVA sleeve (on S-works' earlier recommendation on a different thread) and an entirely new AVA propedal shock. Looks like getting the sleeve might be the way to go - I can always get it pushed later I guess.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
GRFSR said:
I get to switch back and forth as needed, but after having two FSR-XC's I find I run my new Stumpjumper FSR more often in the fully active mode. I only use the pro-pedal mode when its fairly smooth, instead of truly locking it out. Another freind with the same bike, almost never even uses the pro-pedal, just fully active.
Same here, the open (fully active) mode is the way to go for most conditions. I started out using propedal all the time because of the reputation of propedal. Open is better on anything but smooth trails. I haven't used propedal for anything but smooth fireroads in a long time.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
pocketplayer said:
Thanks for the info. Since I'm not getting full travel with my 02 float, I'm trying to decide between getting an AVA sleeve (on S-works' earlier recommendation on a different thread) and an entirely new AVA propedal shock. Looks like getting the sleeve might be the way to go - I can always get it pushed later I guess.
If your bike has a 6.0" i2i (x1.25" stroke) you can't get an AVA sleeve (or an AVA shock) in your size. The fox support guy said that the new RP3 has a larger air volume than the older shocks and is supposed to come in 6.0" i2i (but the reviews say no, so someone is wrong :D ), so that is an option as well ...

Hope this helps ...

Berardino

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
baratta930 said:
If your bike has a 6.0" i2i (x1.25" stroke) you can't get an AVA sleeve (or an AVA shock) in your size. The fox support guy said that the new RP3 has a larger air volume than the older shocks and is supposed to come in 6.0" i2i (but the reviews say no, so someone is wrong :D ), so that is an option as well ...

Hope this helps ...

Berardino
Thanks for the info. I did not know AVA would not work with 6.0 shock. The frame in question (pre- 02') has a 6.5 X1.5inch stroke. So he can get an AVA sleeve for it. I give that a shot first, and then get it Pushed if you did not like it.

Good Luck

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
S-Works said:
Thanks for the info. I did not know AVA would not work with 6.0 shock. The frame in question (pre- 02') has a 6.5 X1.5inch stroke. So he can get an AVA sleeve for it. I give that a shot first, and then get it Pushed if you did not like it.

Good Luck
You're lucky, with 6.5" i2i you have alot more options.

Berardino

·
Registered
189 Posts
S-Works said:
But I'm running at 5 inches in back with BETD link. It climbs like the stock 3 inch mode, but the five inches makes a huge improvement descending. So I think it helps with 5 inches of travel, I ran the propedal a couple rides in four inch, and the suspension did not seem as compliant in rough climbing as with the std. float.

You may want try Float AVA instead of propedal, you can dial the air chamber out and get more useable travel. The FSR design is pretty efficient, I think anything less than five inches, the platform stuff is not needed.

Good Luck!
S works - what year is that FSRxc?

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
S-Works said:

Good Luck
Hmm, my '01 Stumpy has a 6x1.25 Float R. Not sure which "frame in question" you're talking about, since I thought the '01-'03 Stumpy fsr frames were the same (geometry and shock-wise), unless the M4 frames are different than the A1 frames? (mine is A1)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.