Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if Jenson is making any money on these sales. $99 for a Kingpin now.

Even though they suck, I might get one for the fuct of it and put it onto a hardtail.

Seems like Manitou is trying to get rid of them like the plague!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
SpawningGround said:
I wonder if Jenson is making any money on these sales. $99 for a Kingpin now.

Even though they suck, I might get one for the fuct of it and put it onto a hardtail.

Seems like Manitou is trying to get rid of them like the plague!
You needed proof of them being crap?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanD said:
You needed proof of them being crap?
No. but now they are "cheap" crap. :D

It's funny. Ediscountbike.com is selling those old crappy K2 chubby DH forks for over twice as much!

I've actually heard that the Kingpin isn't too bad once you've modified it a bunch. First, you need new seals (free from manitou) and a stiffer spring kit. Then you just take every bit of manitou's retarded idea of grease, out of there and replace with oil. They are actually decent forks when all of this has been done. Well decent for a $99 fork that is. :D

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
RadChad said:
ive got one you can take off my hands, just came off my new bike, never ridden...
Åre you going to be in town tomorrow? Me and my bro are gonna go ride in the middle of the day if you wanna go.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I might have to buy one as a backup fork. :p I mean backup fork such that you know, if my Boxxer is serviced I could mount this so that the frame doesn't have to rest on the ground ;) :p And of course incase something happens at races.

But knowing how cheap I am I probably won't buy it anyways. :p

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I might have to buy one as a backup fork. :p I mean backup fork such that you know, if my Boxxer is serviced I could mount this so that the frame doesn't have to rest on the ground ;) :p And of course incase something happens at races.

But knowing how cheap I am I probably won't buy it anyways. :p
Totally, it's a 99 dollar front end bike stand... order today!!!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
coma13 said:
whats the difference between a 170mm TA (large) and a 170mm TA (small) ????
Tall and Small are the types of crowns you will get with any Dual Crown Manitou (Travis, Sherman and Kingpin).

I have a 18" frame and ordered a Small. After a minor adjustment it fit into the "Magic Zone" and I was satisfied. If you have a tall headtube or are in any doubts, get the large.

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
im just waiting for someone to post that lovely picture of a stance snapped in half at the lowers... pretty weak looking stanchions

but for 100 dollars cant go wrong

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
uh yeah, This fork is the worse thing Mani-poo ever did, I give them 5 years before they go under!....and they deserve to with products like this ever coming out

Why buy one when they just seize up?
They use chunky peanut butter for the internals..

though here is what you can do, buy it
warranty it though mani-poo, tell them it was an OEM off a Big Hit '05
they will send you a Sherman Slider free of charge (with return of the Kingpin)
when you get the Sherman, sell it on Ebay and make a profit...worked for me
Made $300.....

DOWN WITH MANI-POO!!!
Stuff is major CRAPOLA!
Marzocchi RULES!

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
If I can get new seals that work from Manitou for free, and a firm or extra-firm spring kit, I'll rebuild it with regular oil in it and put it on my cheapo hardtail and have a budget mess around bike for friends in need.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, I'm thinking about buying one. just because its 100 bucks. I think the reason they suck so much, is because its prettymuch the same internals as the stance, blunt, flow and those forks are more made for trail and DJ ... people ride the kingpin hard as if it were a Jr T or some of the other strong forks that zocchi puts out. think of this fork ...as a way to keep the front wheel on your bike untill you get a better fork ;)

·
fungus amongus
395 Posts
SpecialK said:
At $99 just buy 4 and replace them as you trash them. Of course when you end up with a broken collar bone after snapping one, don't go crying to Jenson...
Thats a horrible idea, unless you want a bad quality fork

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Grease in the TPC+ dampeners... Who was the brilliant engineer that came up with that idea? Grease doesn't flow through the ports...

Warrantying it for a Sherman Slider through Manitou might just work. I remember they replaced a OEM Splice with a Black Elite when we called in a warranty at the shop.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.