Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday morning I met up with a couple of friends for the drive up to Brevard. We met another group of friends at the camp they occupied the previous night. The plan was for a little mountain biking weekend in Pisgah!

The campsite was a great location with easy access to the day's trail (Squirrel Gap). We headed out around 11am - unfortunately behind some skittish horses. We held back to make sure they knew we were there, but it became obvious real quick that the only way we were going to pass the horses was if they dismounted and we walked our bikes past. The riders were pleasant and even apologized to us (between our apologies to them). We made it past without any injuries to horses or riders (of either machine or beast).

Excellent riding up to the swinging bridge. During the big downhill (before the swinging bridge) we came upon another group of two riders. Really cool people - I was leading and while waiting for the group, I had the opportunity to learn a little about the horses. At the same time, they were asking about bicycles. The best statement I heard was from the older guy - he commented on how we all need to share the trail. Sound familiar to anyone?

When we got to the swinging bridge, unfortunately, 3 of our party were stung by the bees that apparently reside under the bridge. In a haste to escape the bees, we simply turned right and started riding. Of course, it didn't take long to realize our mistake. We turned around and headed back.

The riding in Pisgah is truly awesome. While there are horrendous climbs and descents, there is A LOT of relatively rolling, very technical terrain. Every one of us was doing the technical dance (to include many dismounts to walk obstacles that seemed to much for us). I found myself at the front of the group again, and we were moving along pretty well in between Laurel creek and Bradley creek when I came upon a pretty gnarly root system. It didn't look any worse than some of the other stuff I'd been riding, so my first reaction was go for it. The second reaction was to counteract my first reaction - not in the negative (as in 'maybe I shouldn't ride it), but with a change in line. My first thought was to stay low on the root system and ride it out, but the second thought said - maybe staying high is better.

Well, it wasn't. I spun the tire on the root system and as you might guess, I was falling to the downhill side. I think I did a complete cartwheel before I hit the ground. When I did hit, it was on my right side, directly on a (thankfully partially rotted) log. I got really lucky in that my shoulder strap from my camelback managed to get hung up on the log. I'd hate to think how far I might have rolled down that hill if that wouldn't have happened. Of course, my bike - being the ***** it is - decided to kick me while I was down and landed on top of me (perhaps I should say it bounced off of me?).

Needless to say, I really got the wind knocked out of me (I'd say I got the $#!^ kicked out of me, but my pants were clean). Thanks to my friends for hauling my bike back up the hill. It would have taken me a bit of recovery time had I needed to do that on my own. Although in some pain, thankfully, it was mostly downhill to Bradley creek, then it was fire roads all the way back to camp. I was able to ride it out. I'm still in pain today, so I'll be visiting my local MD for the diagnosis.

My initial reaction was simply a big bruise - musculature and / or bone, but I'm having enough trouble just moving my upper body I'm thinking it might be a broken rib. I'll post up when I know more, but it looks like I won't be doing any pisgah epics for a while.

Despite the injury, we all had a great ride and had a warm and inviting fire later that evening. That's what mountain biking is all about...to prove to yourself that you really are alive.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great story!

RangeMan--Great story--sorry about the rough landing, and hope the recovery time is short. Thanks for building some cred with the equestrian community for us!
Later,
TZ

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I did one of those barrel rolls down the mtn side off of Squirell Gap. I just got tired and sloppy on one of the many skinny technical sections and put my foot down on the wrong side of the trail. Did a few rolls and came to a stop in a soft and fluffy, moss covered, rotten stump. Not even a scratch but without the helmet I would have hit my head several times while rolling. Allways wear a helmet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woodman said:
Broken rib or not, I am expecting you for the workday at DuPont!!!

Hope it heals well.
I have a couple of weeks of healing ahead of me. I'm still planning on it. My effectiveness with a pulaski / shovel / etc. may be diminished, but I'll do whatever I'm capable of.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Ranger275 said:
I have a couple of weeks of healing ahead of me. I'm still planning on it. My effectiveness with a pulaski / shovel / etc. may be diminished, but I'll do whatever I'm capable of.
Understood. Even showing up for moral support is more than some in the community give.

My wife is recovering from a dislocated thumb she got in a wreck in Park City last week. I am
sympathetic to the time needed to recover from an accident.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
extrmtao said:
I think it is just a matter of time before all mtn bikers get a nice cracked rib. . . The best part is that every time you smack it for the rest of your life, it will hurt for weeks. Trust me on this one. . .
sounds like the voice of experience....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah I broke two back in April, during a crash in SW virginia. But two weeks later I tried to race again, big mistake. There is a picture of me on the podium with a couple tie-down straps around my chest. Now I am stuck on my geared FS bike. My normal ride does not compliment cracked ribs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.