Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new years all!

So, what project bikes are on the books for 2006?

For me:

My 1989 Yeti Ultimate is due to go in for a repaint as soon as I nail down the paint codes (I'm looking for Yeti grey and Yeti fluoresent yellow if anyone has em'). All the parts are sourced and wating. Should be a tasteful, anodized free, period correct build.

1993 Tomac Raleigh is having a front wheel built, all the parts are ready and waiting save a few details (I just found that my Revolver cranks are missing the bearings in the cups :( ). This will be an exacting replica of JT's bike during the late 92 to 93 season. Talk about a long journey!

My 1992 Slingshot single speed is losing it's XTR V-brakes in favor of Avid Tri-Aligns and the anodized blue treatment.

Non vintage but almost done is a 2003 Scott Strike G-Zero I'm hoping to use for this race season. Just needs rear brakes and the wheelset built.

Drives me nuts to have projects all on the verge of completion...but nothing I can ride!!

·
401 Posts
What awesome priorities.........

Built 6 steel SS homebuilts in 05..........#7 is in the jig for 06. I love having the bike building jones :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm finally getting my Bontrager Race rebuild completed when my new forks get delivered - Chris King, 8 speed XTR, Middlueburn hubs on Mavic ceramics. Bit of a retro/modern build - fully rigid and 8 speed, but not completely period.

Other projects will be determined by what I pick up during the year. I'm hoping to get my second set of Arch Supremes fully functional (centre adjuster snapped off), on the road front I'm hoping to build my Merlin Magia to sub-15lb. Oh, and to pick up a nice, appropriately sized Ti stem for the XLM.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Happy new years all!

For me:

My 1989 Yeti Ultimate is due to go in for a repaint as soon as I nail down the paint codes (I'm looking for Yeti grey and Yeti fluoresent yellow if anyone has em'). All the parts are sourced and wating. Should be a tasteful, anodized free, period correct build.

1993 Tomac Raleigh is having a front wheel built, all the parts are ready and waiting save a few details (I just found that my Revolver cranks are missing the bearings in the cups :( ). This will be an exacting replica of JT's bike during the late 92 to 93 season. Talk about a long journey!

My 1992 Slingshot single speed is losing it's XTR V-brakes in favor of Avid Tri-Aligns and the anodized blue treatment.

Non vintage but almost done is a 2003 Scott Strike G-Zero I'm hoping to use for this race season. Just needs rear brakes and the wheelset built.

Drives me nuts to have projects all on the verge of completion...but nothing I can ride!!
I hope to finish my 88 Mongoose Hilltopper and my 90 Diamond Back Topanga this year.

Exage is rare.

;)

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Happy new years all!

For me:

I'm building up a 2002 Intense Tracer with a 2002 Z1 - which admittedly isn't vintage - but I'm building it with 1998 8-speed Grip Shift ESP (love the snappy feel of the old shifters) and square taper bb/race face turbines - isis&x types don't last.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
89 Yeti Ultimate restoration (frame's done but needs to be built)
89 Yeti FRO kid trailer hauler (frame's good but needs to be built)
87 Fat Chance restoration (still waiting for decals and paint)
92 Slingshot (dunno what I'm doing with it)

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
06? I havent finished the 04s yet :) hahaha

eric, I'm paint stripping my mates 95 yeti AS (seriously), u want me to send you a bag of flaked off yellow paint chips so you can get a colour match? they're currently scattered all over my patio ;) ....whats happening with the other JT RRR?

in 06 I'd love to find a junked mountain goat needing loads of love & restoring & a rideable 91 onwards specialized ultimate.

Veloculture, I havent seen that colour scheme yo eddy before, very nice :)
Excesior Klunker, man I'm loving that :D

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
here's my labor of love

Rumpfy said:
Happy new years all!

For me:

for 06. It is a Grove Team Frame. Mike Herman has been so helpful and gave me some details about the former "team bikes".

The geometry went like this:
Head: 71 deg. w/ 1.375" susp. comp.
Seat: 72.5 deg.
Top Tube: 22.250"(on this size,18/19?)
BB: 12.000"
Chain" 17.250"

"What I remember is it was the last year Innovations sponsored riders -
maybe 1997? and that was indeed a team bike, and a unique frame which
is why it has no frame-name decals. It was set up for hydraulic brakes
originally, and I know Bill was particularly proud of the rear drop
outs - those are really sweet" Mike Herman

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
One of my New Year's resolutions is to finally get my '92 Bonty Race Lite painted, decalled, and back together. I'm trying to do it with a period-specific group, preferably Record OR or XC Pro, but I keep missing out on the good stuff when it comes up on Ebay. I always forget to check it until it's too late :p . Pictures will follow once I start actually working on it.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Happy new years all!

I just stripped an old (80's) Schwinn fat tire cruiser and dropped it for powder coating. It's going to be a dark metal-flake green. I'll have it pimped with an aftermarket springer front end, big bars, leather grips and a springy brooks saddle. I've been meaning to do this for years and I'm just now getting around to it -- pretty jacked!

Once I get the cruiser back, I plan to drop off a Yeti FRO that I've stripped down for a desert turquoise powder coating. After nearly two years of seaching, I've yet to find the correct fork (1" Yeti) (I need two of them, so if you know of any.....). For the time being, I'll build it up as a singlespeed with non-period parts. I'll probably throw a Tange Switchblade on the front or a Bontrager composite fork that I have in stock.

Both of these should be done before too long. I'll post pics. :cool:

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Yeti Ultimate c. 88-89 with non-tasteful purple ano everywhere. Still deciding about whether to use purple ano chain rings (probable not) and whether to use a flourescent yellow yeti branded answer taperlite or a purple hyperlight bar. Also not sure whether to go with m900 derailleurs or m737 xt. Pics soon.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My current left over projects from '05 are a couple of fillet brazed beauties ;)

A '88 Ritchey Timber Comp that has been repainted/decaled and will be my Urban Assult bike, it's going to be a single speed with WTR dirt drop bars, Tom slicks and should be finished soon. The only thing missing will be the Urban, as I live in the woods :rolleyes:

Next is a bike that will be a user, like most of you I had a bunch of parts laying around, mostly late 80's early 90's XT stuff. My buddy and used bike supplier Veloculture turned me on to a '92 fillet brazed Gilmour frame in my size :D If your from the Arizona area then you may of heard of Andy Gilmour. He's been making custom one off road frames for 30 years. At the request of his roadie customers he would build a few mountain frames for them. He made less than a dozen MTB frames yearly until the mid 90's when he produced about 400. He remembered my frame very well as he made it for his girlfriend at the time. She was a Cat 1 or 2 racer. Its going to be 7 speed XT thumbies with Mag 21's. The chain stays are short at only 16 1/2" !

I would also like any one of the following in the comming year:
'87 or '88 Team Stumpjumper
'92-'94 S-Works Ultimate
'80's Potts
'88 or later Wicked Fat
'89 or later Mountain Goat WTR
early Slingshot, OMG, I cant believe I said that :rolleyes:

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bushpig said:
Yeti Ultimate c. 88-89 with non-tasteful purple ano everywhere. Still deciding about whether to use purple ano chain rings (probable not) and whether to use a flourescent yellow yeti branded answer taperlite or a purple hyperlight bar. Also not sure whether to go with m900 derailleurs or m737 xt. Pics soon.
What's the serial number on your Ultimate? I'm sure we can get you a ball park age.

Mine is #127 and was ordered Sept of 89.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe Steel said:
I just stripped an old (80's) Schwinn fat tire cruiser and dropped it for powder coating. It's going to be a dark metal-flake green. I'll have it pimped with an aftermarket springer front end, big bars, leather grips and a springy brooks saddle. I've been meaning to do this for years and I'm just now getting around to it -- pretty jacked!

Once I get the cruiser back, I plan to drop off a Yeti FRO that I've stripped down for a desert turquoise powder coating. After nearly two years of seaching, I've yet to find the correct fork (1" Yeti) (I need two of them, so if you know of any.....). For the time being, I'll build it up as a singlespeed with non-period parts. I'll probably throw a Tange Switchblade on the front or a Bontrager composite fork that I have in stock.

Both of these should be done before too long. I'll post pics. :cool:
Now that, I'm looking forward to seeing! (both projects)

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
My plan? I would REALLY like to get my hands on a new Route 29 from First Flight. Rigid front, XC-pro thumbies, and the rest 8 speed XTR M-9xx era stuff. I've got all of it already, so I'd just have to move a few parts over from other bikes. Not exactly retro, but really wanting to be.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
~martini~ said:
My plan? I would REALLY like to get my hands on a new Route 29 from First Flight. Rigid front, XC-pro thumbies, and the rest 8 speed XTR M-9xx era stuff. I've got all of it already, so I'd just have to move a few parts over from other bikes. Not exactly retro, but really wanting to be.
From Webster:

Main Entry: ret·ro
Pronunciation: 're-(")trO
Function: adjective
Etymology: French rétro, short for rétrospectif retrospective
: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned <a retro look>

The second definition should be: 2006 Mountain Goat. :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.