Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has begun. My quest to make a 27.5" clincher wheelset below 1kg. I did this for 26" wheels back in 2009, and now it's time to do it again in a larger size. Since then, hubs and spokes have gotten lighter, and rims stiffer. To reach the goal, I have to wait for a certain rim to become available. Look at the google translated entry in my blog here:

Google Translate

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All the parts for the intermediate stage have arrived. Light Bicycle Wide rims, spokes and hubs. 1173g total. When (if?) the Tune rims become available, I should be able to brake the 1000g limit.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but not with 2.0 at the ends, they only make 2.3mm, also at the spokes, unless you customer order very large quantities of several thousands. And that was beyond the economic scale of my wheel build.

· Registered
173 Posts
380g x2 + 414g + 5g x64 + 20g (alloy nipples) = 1514g
NO, I went with a 28 hole rim and hub - but recalculating - 1450 to 1470 - if a person wanted to lose some more they could go with Rotaz hubs or circus monkey and get a 385g set which would put you on the lower side of 1400 and still be under 500.00
Next month, when they are finally together, I can get a more accurate weight. I guess I should have said the 1400 area for the nit pickers.

· ~ B A D A S S ~
3,440 Posts
my new wheels will have like 700g of hubs at least (tp stealth), 900g of rims (dt 400 and 500), dt comps and brass nipples. does 50 grams matter? Hmm let me think about that for a while, no, it doesn't. QUALITY does though...

almost forgot my new tires, continentals @ 700g per, yeah litening **** up by 300g per tire here.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have now done several off road rides on the wheels, and one real race, and the wheels are STIFF! Not "stiff for a race wheelset"-stiff, but really, really, trailbike stiff. I'm not even sure I want to pursue the 1kg goal, if that means giving up the fantastic stiffness I have now. My bike with Rocket Ron 27.5x2.25 weighs 9kg sharp ready to race, and that's not too bad for a 120mm front/rear travel full suspension bike with proper tires. There is nothing flexy on the bike now, 15mm front axle, 10mm through axle rear, Schmolke DH riserbar, Lightning cranks, Rotor stem (Extralite too flexy), it just feels stiff and inspiring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.