Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after several years of riding my Moots as my main commuter / road riding bike, I found myself using fewer and fewer gears. It then dawned on me (as the UGI hit) that it should become an SS! So this is the result! Originally planned to just get an ENO hub and Surly fork to replace the (gasp) Judy TT, but as I tore it down to build it back up, I found a cracked spider on my cranks (old Sh!tmano) and a destroyed fork race on the HS (old Ritchey). As UGI was already consuming me, I sprung for some ENO cranks and a CK headset (I guess a Moots really deserves this anyway).

So the final build wil be: (more or less)

19" 94 Moots YBB (anodized)
Surly Instigator Fork
Pewter CK HS
Easton CF Riser
Avid SD 7 Levers
ENO Hub (32H)
ENO Cranks (180mm, 38T)
ACS Freewheel (16T or 18T) - havent decided on this yet!
Mavic XC717 Rear RIm

Other parts are not new (Ie old front rim is Bontrager Race) but should work out OK

Please feel free to make comments / suggestions/ questions?

Buzz
MCM #45

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beautiful frame!

and nice choice of ENO parts.

Any reason you went with the Instigator fork over the 1x1 or KM?

A bike that nice deserves a custom rigid fork (Walt, Wily, Kelly, IF)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the SS experience.

-Richard

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well..

I went with the Instigator as I wanted something that was a little taller than 80mm, eventhough the bike is designed around an 80mm fork. Since I ride it on the road / commute, I dont mind being a bit more upright. The 1x1 is more for 80mm replacement and the KM is a 29er fork.....so I definitely dont want that! I agree a custom rigid would be nice, but I thought I would start with the Surly which is great for the price. A Ti fork may be in the cards for the next case of UGI :)

Buzz
MCM#45

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
That is just awesome.
I suggest you spring for the ENO freehweel, too. If you get the ACS, then UGi will make you get the ENO eventually, so just save yourself the $20 now.

I would also paint the fork. Just rattlecan it before you mount it up. I would go silver. or gold or sparkles or something. or metallic purple.

Please post a pic when it's all done. I love that thing!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$20 more ?

Last I checked White Freewheels were about $70. I got the ACS for $18. I think making sure I get the number of teeth on the FW right first (for $18) is a wise investment. Then if/when I need to replace it, the White would be on the top of the list! I think I will keep the fork black for now.....I get enough hassle from ppl about my "rainbow" bike as it is! As I said in an earlier post.....a Ti fork may be in the cards for the next round of upgrades. That may have to wait awhile tho...as there are 5 bikes in the stable that always "need" new parts! Thanks for the feedback!

Buzz
MCM #45

·
Registered
847 Posts
Commuter road bike?

Maybe you should wrap black electrical tape or something on that Moots to commute with it ;P

Seriously though, why doesn't this bike get dirt duty over the rest of the stable? Are they better in that area?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Agreed. Wait on the ENO FW till you've got your ratio all figured out. ACS will work fine in the meantime. Excellent call on the ENO hub. But with that frame, I'd also spring for a more bling fork. Pick up a used Vicious or similar when one pops up. Love the ano job! S

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question...

I live in Vancouver so it is not really the ideal Moots type terrain. I ride on the North Shore with my Norco Shore, any XC I do manage to get in is done on my Klein Mantra and soon to be built Turner Burner and for a beach cruiser I have a Klein Karma Pave! I am not against using it for the dirt, and may actually give it a try now. Also, at 19 inches the frame is a bit large for me for any real technical XC, but perfect for road / commuting. And the Moots is locked up in a secure bike room at work so I dont worry too much about it.
Black tape? And hide the beautiful purple/gold/blue ano? I think not ;)

Buzz
MCM#45

·
Registered
847 Posts
Vulture fork w/o tape

How about a Vulture fork with a d-rock paint job to match or go with the multi-color ano?

Vancouver, a great place to be IMHO.

Buzz said:
I live in Vancouver so it is not really the ideal Moots type terrain. I ride on the North Shore with my Norco Shore, any XC I do manage to get in is done on my Klein Mantra and soon to be built Turner Burner and for a beach cruiser I have a Klein Karma Pave! I am not against using it for the dirt, and may actually give it a try now. Also, at 19 inches the frame is a bit large for me for any real technical XC, but perfect for road / commuting. And the Moots is locked up in a secure bike room at work so I dont worry too much about it.

Buzz
MCM#45

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Buzz said:

Buzz
MCM#45
well, it would fit me just fine! :)
Looks great! finer than any commuter Porsche, even a vintage Porshce.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.