Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first custom Monstercross, I'm calling it "Sevozilla-X"

Being welded by Jeff Tessier of Tessierbikes.com. Tubing is mix of EDGE/ENVE carbon tubes and columbus tubing we had laying around (no clue which). Niner EBB and shell.

Build is looking like:
Thomson Stem/Post
Ragley Luxy bar (chopped 2" off ends already)
Cinelli cork
Panracer FireCross 700x45c
Wheelset TBA
Singlespeed or Paul's Melvin with yet to be announced "shifter' mod
May go Belt drive, frame will have breakaway stay to do so should I decide
Either Avid Ultimate's or TRP Mini-V's
Levers Cane Creek either way
Cranks, SRAM s900 series with 39/33 TA rings 177.5
Headset: King
Fork: IRD Carbon or custom Ground Up Designs (Groundupdesigns.com)

Attachments

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
You had me at "welded by .......... Tubing is mix of EDGE/ENVE carbon tubes and ......." I wanna see those welded carbon tubes! :cool:

Oh, and I love monstercross bikes......

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockcrusher said:
this is going to get good I think. Eagerly awaiting more!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes... It will get good. Have some fun little surprises for this frame we'll show as we go. Plus the build is going to be fun.

I'm 220lbs. Currently have a Surly CrossCheck that has served it's purpose for experimentation sake. Currently not much out there for Monster cross frames. I had some tubing, Jeff had some tubing, so we figured let's try it. Few hours in CAD and now it's getting put in the jig. Downtube pics are next.

Interesting side note: Jeff works for a medical supply company called Synthes. When we met a few years ago it was about a year after I did my worst crash ever...8 screws and a plate later to put my collarbone back together. After a little chatting, we figured there was a 97% chance the metal in my body he made.

Should have more teaser pics this weekend...

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slocaus said:
You had me at "welded by .......... Tubing is mix of EDGE/ENVE carbon tubes and ......." I wanna see those welded carbon tubes! :cool:

Oh, and I love monstercross bikes......
Sorry to disappoint but you can't weld carbon ;)

It's going to be fun. Carbon tubes/steel lugs. Only using carbon tubes in top tube and seat tube. Rest nice purty steel.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
juansevo said:
Sorry to disappoint but you can't weld carbon ;)
I know. eMpTy BeeR is missing the "tongue in cheek" smilie.

I raced a Graftek Exxon frame back about 1976. (picture) It was carbon wrapped on aluminum tubes and glues with stainless lugs. Fork was Reynolds 753 with a carbon wrap on the blades. Steep, tight, light, stiff, silky moooove. I loved that bike.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slocaus said:
I know. eMpTy BeeR is missing the "tongue in cheek" smilie.

I raced a Graftek Exxon frame back about 1976. (picture) It was carbon wrapped on aluminum tubes and glues with stainless lugs. Fork was Reynolds 753 with a carbon wrap on the blades. Steep, tight, light, stiff, silky moooove. I loved that bike.
I remember those. Remember the Reflex Bikes (easton's brand) that had the carbon over alloy tubes with the hefty forged lugs?

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tchivalo said:
Damn! Looking good!
Waiting for more detail's :)
Why not some BB7?
More details to come :)

Why no BB7? Few reasons for this bike.

-Simplicity. Something to be said about having at least one bike in the quiver that is pretty much a "get on and go" bike. The one bike that doesn't need a lot of expense to keep going. Disc brakes need new rotors or pads when they stop working...easy to drop $40-$50 to get them going again. I've ridden disks for 8 years now it's a fact. But V's? Just throw in another set of $10 brake pads or steel wool the rim...if ever that.

-Wheels. I want to have a few different wheelsets for this. One that's the bomber heavy wheelset with slime and big knobs. Another more for commuting. Another with a less aggressive tread. Another with studs. There are some sweet used wheels with King, DT or XTR hubs out there that are non-disc rim brake wheels...(BTW PM if you have a set)...and they are going CHEAP compared to disc compatible wheels. Rim brakes win again.

-Because I can. When Avid Ultimate's and Paul's Motolite's were big I couldn't justify the cost. Always love the looks of them. So there is part of why I may end of with a set of either.

-Availability of disc forks. Finding a fork that is disc only, not suspension corrected, not $400, and can fit right up to a 45c tire is tough. Sure...could use a White Brothers or such...but then it'd look more mtb and look funny with all that space. Not here. So I'm using a IRD Prestige Carbon Cross fork on this rig. Cheap. Light. Strong.

-Test Sled. I'm working on a few different brake designs around post mount brakes so need something to try them on. I'm also planning on using this bike as an overal test bike for a lot of products I'm getting to try. So it's just easier.

-Last...makes you tough. I have been noticing currently on my Surly which I built with Shorty's how much disc brakes can make you into a p*ssy. With rim brakes you roll up to something tough, realize you can't stop, so best thing to do is pull up a bit, slide back, and let go of the damn brakes. I kinda have been enjoying how that's pushing my riding style.

In the end....I do love disc brakes. But I like them on my mountain bike. The Ragely hardtail with the 150mm fork up front...hell yeah. My simple, singlespeed monster cross rig I'll be ok with rim brakes. Not that I don't have plans to do a fully geared Monster cross bike that may end up with discs :)

·
Administrator
11,694 Posts
I missed the steel lugs part. This is going to be amazing and +1 on the canti's there is something about riding canti's that is like riding singlespeed or rigid. It tickles a different part of your brain!

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rockcrusher said:
I missed the steel lugs part. This is going to be amazing and +1 on the canti's there is something about riding canti's that is like riding singlespeed or rigid. It tickles a different part of your brain!
Yep and this will be singlespeed AND rigid. Yep, good old fashion rim brakes are just kinda neat-o some days. How when you pull 'em back hard that you still slide a little and the wheels get a half revolution in before they stop. Makes you appreciate the flow a little more when you just have to let go...

Now just which to use! Looking at Avid Ultimate's and Paul's Motolite's. Both I've always wanted. Paul's do come with Matheuser (Sp?) pads now though...which were the best.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mr Pink57 said:
Just saw a Merlin with this style of lugged Ti very sweet looking. I have always wanted to see a carbon monstercross bike.
you actually may get that wish. I'm consulting for an upstart that's doing high end carbon. It's not as far away as you may think. I may have proto pics by July if all goes well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts