Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I rode the Mamasita a few times. Great bike, fast bike. Then Dirt Diggler raced it at Sea Otter. He normally rides a Giant Reign. I thought he was going to win sport class for sure so we didn't bother to optimize the bike for racing. It's not about the bike right? Well he didn't win because of a flurry of issues. They were mostly related to his beer consumption...

So I got the bike on the stand last night and there were a couple of problems. One, the front brakes were rubbing badly. Second, it was 27.5 lbs! What da!

So we got rid of all the extra parts and it's looking better now. A couple more things and it should be ready for a spin later!!

francois

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some pics with the bag of parts. The real heavy parts were the wheels. XT, Delgado, new ignitors.

What to do about the front shock... Hmm, maybe a White Brothers rigid fork?

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Horses for courses

I've raced the Dos @ just under 21lbs, geared, with a WB Rock Solid fork, @ CCCX races at the East Garrison. A bit too much of a handful for my tastes in that configuration @ the Sea Otter course or anything choppier. The WB weighs 760 grams with a cut steerer. For rougher courses, I stay with the Reba and it's 2 lb weight penalty, for the margin of error it lends.
I'm sure you little bandits will find some way of getting that bike down to some absurdly light weight, with parts that don't exist anyplace else on earth.:D

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jms said:
I've raced the Dos @ just under 21lbs, geared, with a WB Rock Solid fork, @ CCCX races at the East Garrison. A bit too much of a handful for my tastes in that configuration @ the Sea Otter course or anything choppier. The WB weighs 760 grams with a cut steerer. For rougher courses, I stay with the Reba and it's 2 lb weight penalty, for the margin of error it lends.
I'm sure you little bandits will find some way of getting that bike down to some absurdly light weight, with parts that don't exist anyplace else on earth.:D
Good advice. Where were you yesterday? There were three 29ers flying in formation at the forest. It was all good until my two year old chain detonated. Good thing it was downhill to the car.

Any comparison between the Pace carbon fork and the White Brothers carbon fork?

fc

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
No personal experience

I have no personal experience with the Pace. Speedgoat seems to think the WB is less inclined to tuck under than the Pace with a heavier rider, and is more compliant than other carbon forks. The WB's has minimal clearance between the brake rotor bolts and the inside of the fork drop-out casting.
Sorry I missed the ride - work conflicts. Too bad about the chain, though it would have been fun watching you using your cycolcross skills;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are the Ignitors heavy? I thought they are a pretty light tire given their tread and am considering them for my Mamasita build. I was going to go Ignitor front and Nano rear (running tubes). What tires are you switching to?

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mountain bike said:
Are the Ignitors heavy? I thought they are a pretty light tire given their tread and am considering them for my Mamasita build. I was going to go Ignitor front and Nano rear (running tubes). What tires are you switching to?
The Ignitors used to be light. They used to be 600 grams. Now, they are about ~700 grams.

What's on the bike right now are Bontrager XRs at around 610 grams.

We'll have all kinds of tires on the bike but I think a good set for now are:
rear: Stans tire at 450 grams
front: Maxxis Crossmark at 575 grams

We are running tubeless too with about 80 grams of goop. 29er tubes weigh about 225 grams each. Weeenie!

For fun rides, the setup of choice will be Kenda Smallblock on the rear and Kenda Nevegal on the front.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
rensho said:
My Mama is mo better than yo mama.

After some weight loss, she's now single, medium height, sport'in some bling, and still bouncy up front. :)

Will try a shakedown tomorrow and take some full body shots.
BLING BLING!!

Lookin' forward to the whole-bike shots.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Francis -

What is all over the chainstay? Are those divots from chainslap? Looks pretty nasty for what I assume is a fairly new bike. Just curious - thanks.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KonaSS said:
Francis -

What is all over the chainstay? Are those divots from chainslap? Looks pretty nasty for what I assume is a fairly new bike. Just curious - thanks.
Yes, that is probably just from 8 rides, including the Sea Otter Race. Jason told me to put that chainstay protector on. Clearly, that needs more protection. Rensho, wrap that thing with some roadie bar tape. On second thought, that's a singlespeed now huh? Check it out please.

fc

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Yeah, the paint is kinda hammered there. The Salsa protector isn't wide enough, and or long enough. Some careful wrapping is needed. With the flared CS, if you wrap it with tape that is too thick, like roadie tape, it would be tough to get the tire/wheel out. It is tough as it is getting a Jones XR out.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
martas strong enough

Are the Martas strong enough to slow those big wheels down - or would you go for a stronger brake (despite your weight reduction effort)?

francois said:
Here's some pics with the bag of parts. The real heavy parts were the wheels. XT, Delgado, new ignitors.

What to do about the front shock... Hmm, maybe a White Brothers rigid fork?

fc

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
francois said:
The Ignitors used to be light. They used to be 600 grams. Now, they are about ~700 grams.

What's on the bike right now are Bontrager XRs at around 610 grams.

We'll have all kinds of tires on the bike but I think a good set for now are:
rear: Stans tire at 450 grams
front: Maxxis Crossmark at 575 grams

We are running tubeless too with about 80 grams of goop. 29er tubes weigh about 225 grams each. Weeenie!

For fun rides, the setup of choice will be Kenda Smallblock on the rear and Kenda Nevegal on the front.
Who runs 225g tubes :eek:ut: Throw a set of 125-130g bontrager ultralights in there.

Seriously 27.5 is pretty terrible for that thing. My steel framed XL Raleigh comes in at 29lb. I think somebody put too much stans in the tires :D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Motivated said:
Are the Martas strong enough to slow those big wheels down - or would you go for a stronger brake (despite your weight reduction effort)?

Depends on what and where you ride. We just did a 10-11kft ascent/descent ride over the weekend, and the marta 160s I run were just enough. I'm only 150lbs. Other guys on the ride have to run 180s. One person on Vbrakes blew out 2 tires from smoking/overheating of the rims/tires the previous weekend. He is more like 190lbs. Had to walk the last 2 miles of road.

From day 1 with the 29er, I've always considered running a 180 front disc, still do.

The Mamasita above has a 180 front, so I'll see how that affects things.

I don't want to turn this into a brake size thread. If you seach, or go over to the brake forum, there is a lot of discussion already.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
no hijack

I'm building a hopefully lightweight, reasonably priced Mamasita, my first 29er, and my better judgement is guiding me to use Martas with 180mm rotors (I weigh 185) despite the weight gain. So, thanks for your input. Not trying to turn this into a braking post, but when you are trying to save weight on a bike these are things we trade off.

rensho said:
Depends on what and where you ride. We just did a 10-11kft ascent/descent ride over the weekend, and the marta 160s I run were just enough. I'm only 150lbs. Other guys on the ride have to run 180s. One person on Vbrakes blew out 2 tires from smoking/overheating of the rims/tires the previous weekend. He is more like 190lbs. Had to walk the last 2 miles of road.

From day 1 with the 29er, I've always considered running a 180 front disc, still do.

The Mamasita above has a 180 front, so I'll see how that affects things.

I don't want to turn this into a brake size thread. If you seach, or go over to the brake forum, there is a lot of discussion already.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SKullman said:
you need to lighten that frame up...

I bet the carbon stays would look sweet, set up with the shine.
That looks like a multi-beer project. How much weight came off?

fc

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
This is hard work.

Got a brief ride in after work, 9 miles. The build didn't fall apart, so I didn't need the tools I carried. ;)

I'll need a few more days of riding to get a feel for it. The bike is way different than my One9/Pace. This frame is a touch larger. The fork is 25mm taller, gearing is easier (32x20). I'm not use to these Jones XR tires; they have a lot of cush. Right now, I'm trying to discern how much of the overall suppleness is the frame, tires, fork. I rode the fork locked with floodgate closed. No complaints yet.
Compared to my Sir9, this frame is noticeably stiffer laterally.

By the weekend, it may see a Pace transplant if some other rigid doesn't show up to the rescue. I'm hoping to leave the One9 intact, as to be able to do A/B comparisons.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rensho said:
This is hard work.
Nice to see someone had a good day. I on the other hand got a root canal. And I mean that literally! :eek:

fc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts