Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on the market for a used Ti spring and an older 275x2.25 Progressive spring has caught my eye, yet I've also started thinking about it's possible deflection while in use.

It looks to me that since it has less loops it may be prone to an easier deflection and potentially rubbing the shock body when compressed. Or would it be the opposite?

I'm not sure on the history behind these "less looped" springs as I've also spotted a few Progressive that look just the same as the rest, but could they have figured out that they didn't work as well as the rest, or were they just used with shorter than X stroke shocks, making it a non-issue with such a short stroke?

Does anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
These can definitely deflect and rub the shock. In my experience using these, those with fewer/thinner coils will do this more. A shorter stroke probably minimizes this problem.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mrwhlr said:
These can definitely deflect and rub the shock. In my experience using these, those with fewer/thinner coils will do this more. A shorter stroke probably minimizes this problem.
Thanks, for the the reply.

I haven't asked the seller what's its freelength, since I'd be using it on a 2.75 but it will be a problem almost for sure.

They're dirt light but it's probably not worth it to end up with a shock full of scratches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i'm using one of the progressive spring, 300lb
previously had it on a 7.5x2" rc4, works fine.
used it on a 7.875x2.25 x fusion vector hlr, and it buffed the shock body quite a bit from just 5mins of carpark test...

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LDH said:
my son runs that same spring on his 2.75" stroke dhx, we just put a loop of the soft side of velcro around the shock body to prevent any rub marks.
That sounds like a good idea!
Did you put it more to the middle of the shock of the body, or more to the top?
Could you show a picture?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.