Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And finally, inevitably, it's time to put together our big monster megalist of Sedona trails, organized by trail "difficulty" like we did for Phoenix, Tucson and Flagstaff.

I've got a fairly good grasp on what's up there but I'm REALLY hoping Traildoc, Zul and others will jump in here with local beta. Let's just get the trail names in place, then we can organize them by green/blue/black.

Aaaaand...go!

p.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I did some standard non beta runs yesterday, the ones all the Tourons do on their first visit. AZ has rocks, rocks, and chunk, huge staircase chunk. I failed. Hotter than a steaming dookie up there, and it's the beginning of March only. Why do you guys have to have a heat wave when I show up, I had to drink all your beer?

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Paul B said:
Oh! That reminds me -- it's time to do the Sedona trails by progression list.p.
Bell Rock Pathway
Soldiers Pass Jeep Road
Dry Creek Jeep Road
Anaconda Bypass to Az Cypress
Wilson Canyon
Mystic
Court House Loop
Big Park Loop
Lemonade Bypass
Deadmans Pass
OK
Touron
Easy Rider
Ridge
Bogus
Old Post
New Ramshead
Baseball
Soldiers Pass Singletrack
Jim Thompson
Ant Hill
Submarine Rock
HT
Lama
Baldwin
Templeton
Anaconda
Dawa
Rupp
Powerline
Az Cypress
Color Cove
Lower Lizard Head
Thunder Mountain
Grassy Knoll
Kachina Stables
Grasshopper Point
Brew Pub
Old Man
Rocky Ridge
Eagles Nest
Brewer
Airport (Frontside)
Sunset
Table Top
Herkenham
Bike Path (High School Trail)
Carroll Canyon
Lost & Found
Grand Central
Double Trouble
Sugar Loaf
Andante
Tea Cup
Birdcage
Pot Farm
Jordan
Roller Coaster
Mouse Fingers
Missing in Action
Centennial
High Baller
Power Station Plunge
Broken Arrow
Little Horse
Chimney Rock
Snake
Cockscomb
Canyon of Fools
Girdner
Plumber's Crack
Munds Wagon
Schnebly Hill
Huckaby
Hot Loop
Rabbit Ears
Turkey Creek
Airport (Backside)
Bandit
Windsurfer
Cedar Ridge
Old Ridge
Pyramid
Secret Slickrock
Old Rams Head
Under the Radar
Under Under the Radar
Second Coming
Wash Up
Roller Coaster Proper
Chapel
Lost Watch
Upper Snake
Two Fences
Mescal
Chuck Wagon
Upper Lizard Head
Cockscomb Wash to Dawa
Compactor
Scheurman Mountain
Damifido
Lavitra
Napoleons Tomb
Witch's Tit
Unknown Bandit
Harms Way
Sketch
Upper Rams Head
Crucifixion Wash
Roller Coaster Proper
Hangover
G Spot
Wall Ride
Ledge' n 'Airy
Cow Pies
Casner Canyon
Damifino
Killer Bee
Sick Boy
Skid Mark
Sick Rock

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I've done a little bit of housekeeping and moved Traildoc's rather mind-blowing list of Sedonuts trails over to this thread. Can anyone take a swing at organizing them by color-coded difficulty, and by approximate difficulty within each color?

p.

·
Will Guide for Beer
731 Posts
Green = Bell Rock Pathway, Big Park Loop

That covers my list of epic rides for Sedona. There are so few trails with uncountable ways to hook them up, it's really a tall order. If anyone can make sence of it all, it would be the doc. I am looking forward to see what he can do ...

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
A minimum 1-mile length rule would considerably shorten the list.

Still a tall order indeed. Sedona trails can't easily be pidgeon-holed into green/blue/black. Just about every trail has difficult sections. For example, Jim Thompson is 95% easy except for the western two hundred yards loaded with baby heads and endo potential for a beginner or even intermediate rider. Something intermediate like Llama, Templeton, or Little Horse have sections that are perhaps uncleanable except for expert riders.

What's the purpose of this anyway? Most visitors to Sedona are not going to be able to find half of the trails on doc's list without a local guide or extensive research and/or the time to do intensive exploring. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just questioning the need to add this to the sticky. What makes more sense to me is a map that has the difficult or dangerous sections marked with a double diamond or something and the rest of the trail with a blue square or a green circle. Of course, that will have to wait 20 years for the non-comissioning and/or adoption process to run it's course:skep:

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you guys are right. Sedona is so unique, and it really does have just an absurd number of little micro-connectors and poorly documented social trails. Has anyone GPSed all this? I haven't checked Dale's map lately but I'm sure many/most of the trails will be hard to find on anyone's map.

:-/ I'll have to think a bit on the best way to proceed. Taking ideas!

p.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Paul B said:
I think you guys are right. Sedona is so unique, and it really does have just an absurd number of little micro-connectors and poorly documented social trails. Has anyone GPSed all this? I haven't checked Dale's map lately but I'm sure many/most of the trails will be hard to find on anyone's map.

:-/ I'll have to think a bit on the best way to proceed. Taking ideas!

p.
I believe the best map is Fishman's that can be found on Dale's site. A very creative bit of cartography. Scale is part of the problem.

·
The .05 percent
1,165 Posts
whatever happened to going out for a ride and stumbeling across a new trail? Ask any DJ grom if it is cool if you gps his local trails and put them on the net for all to see. What do you think his response will be?

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
You the man!:thumbsup: So, Casner Canyon would be the most difficult?
Yeah, awesome list doc. I can clearly see that I need to get back to Sedona with an appropriate amount of time and a local guide. I used to go every year to Sedona but finally got kinda tired of all the standards (which are terrific trails, btw) but obviously there's so much out there that's not "on the map".

Near as I can tell (again 1/2 to 2/3 of those trails I've never heard of) he did attempt to place them in order from easiest to hardest. I've never ridden it, but from what I heard once, Castner Canyon is so so steep and rocky as to be darn near unrideable for anyone with less skill than Hans Rey.

Like others have said, Sedona is a bit harder to classify, but I think you could do a pretty good job classifying most of the standard on-the-map trails that a visitor is most likely to ride into the color coded green-blue-black-doubleblack system with a few cautions added in for difficult sections on otherwise easy trails.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
KRob said:
Yeah, awesome list doc. I can clearly see that I need to get back to Sedona with an appropriate amount of time and a local guide. I used to go every year to Sedona but finally got kinda tired of all the standards (which are terrific trails, btw) but obviously there's so much out there that's not "on the map".

Near as I can tell (again 1/2 to 2/3 of those trails I've never heard of) he did attempt to place them in order from easiest to hardest. I've never ridden it, but from what I heard once, Castner Canyon is so so steep and rocky as to be darn near unrideable for anyone with less skill than Hans Rey.

Like others have said, Sedona is a bit harder to classify, but I think you could do a pretty good job classifying most of the standard on-the-map trails that a visitor is most likely to ride into the color coded green-blue-black-doubleblack system with a few cautions added in for difficult sections on otherwise easy trails.
Krob:

I have redone the list a little to indicate what I consider to be the hardest trail that I have ever hiked (not totally ridden) that would be Sick Rock. The list is pretty much what I consider to be the easiest to hardest trails with a lot of discussion of whether one trail is harder or easier than another. Like Rocky says one trail can be easy for most of the trail but have 200' or less of a very difficult section.

If we were to list only trails more than a mile we would have about ten trails on the list. As it is I have failed to include ten trails so I don't send the Ex Tour Guide to the loony bin.

This is how I would rate the different trail difficulties:

Easy Trails: Fairly Flat With a Few Drops and Ledges

Slightly Harder: Somewhat Up and Down Singletrack With Some Spots or Sections an Entry Level Rider Would Have to Walk

Intermediate Trails: Up and down Singletrack With Some Drops and Ledges That You Might Not Ride

More Difficult: Rough Terrain With Lots of Drops and Ledges, Not for the Respiratorily Challenged

Advanced: Technical Riding with Numerous Rocks, Ledges and Drops. Trail May Have Exposure That Could Cause Injury

Extreme: Possible Bloodbath or Serious Injury-Must Have a very High Skill Level to Ride Entire Trail Without Dabbing

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yeah, whoever maps out all our secret trails on the internet is LAME! Keep em for those in the know and a little mysterious. It's like having guide books for everything, it starts to destroy the adventure of places and it begins to popularize and eventually ruin places with crowds. So Knock it off city slickers!

·
slower than you
1,404 Posts
traildoc said:
Damifino
Killer Bee
Sick Boy
Skid Mark
Sick Rock
two things:
one: isn't it 'damfino' as in: http://www.busterkeaton.com/Fdamstory.htm ...i swear that's what the sign at the saddle used to say. admit, i could be wrong, however... been a while.
two: there are sedona trails more challenging that damfino/damifino? seriously? WOW! it's been too long since i've ridden in sedona. such a trail is hard to imagine...

somebody point out to me the way to killer bee, i'll start there.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
rockychrysler said:
two things:
one: isn't it 'damfino' as in: http://www.busterkeaton.com/Fdamstory.htm ...i swear that's what the sign at the saddle used to say. admit, i could be wrong, however... been a while.
two: there are sedona trails more challenging that damfino/damifino? seriously? WOW! it's been too long since i've ridden in sedona. such a trail is hard to imagine...

somebody point out to me the way to killer bee, i'll start there.
Chry:

If you know who Digger is in Vancouver BC, he came down to Sedona in the spring of 2004 and did the recon on Killer Bee. He then went home and built trails on Fromm for Wade and his buddies until the winter set in. He then came back to Sedona and spent two months building Killer Bee. You might enjoy it if you like short orgasms in your rides.

Doc

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.