Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoo boy, this is gonna be a tough one.

There's been just a ton of official trailbuilding up there in the past few years, enough that I don't feel at all confident in even listing it all. Then there's all the unofficial stuff, probably the richest cache of social trails in the state.

So who's gonna start this one? Hell, I'm looking forward to this list myself!

p.

·
Registered
2 Posts
t-rails

I'll give it a shot...for Flagstaff anyway..

Buffalo Park
Campbell Mesa
Sovereign Trail
Lower Moto
AZ Trail to Fisher Point (FUTS)
Dogfood Engineer
Easy Lower Oldham
Schultz
Easter Island
Little Gnarly
AZ Trail to Marshall Lake
Red Onion
Fort Valley Trails
Little Bear
Rocky Ridge
Hard Lower Oldham
Lower Brookbank
Onceler
Upper Brookback
Sunset
Secret Trail
Pickle
Upper Moto
Upper Oldham

·
Registered
630 Posts
:cornut: Good List, and I wish I had ridden them all. Definately would agree as far as what I have ridden if you are going from easiest (top) to hardest (bottom). This next season, I plan to go beyond the "Dry Lake Loop" (ie: Shultz, Lower Brookbank, Down Sunset) and Fort Valley, and want to push up to Upper Moto and Secret Trails. - Can't Wait. These ranking posts just keep getting better. Especially to broaden one's trail options.

·
slower than you
1,404 Posts
my 10 minute revision (additions in bold, revisions struck-thru):

joshwa said:
Buffalo Park and FUTS
Campbell Mesa trails
Sovereign Trail (never heard of it)
Lower Moto moved down
AZ Trail to Fisher Point
Dogfood Engineer
Easy Lower Oldham
flying fish
coyote road
lower moto

Schultz
Easter Island
Little Gnarly
lamar heinous
Pipeline to Sandy Seep

Red Onion
onceler
little elden spring
az trail from old walnut cyn to walnut cyn
az trail from I-40 to sheep's hill

Fort Valley Trails
Little Bear
az trail from walnut cyn to I-40
new orion springs
hard lower oldham
newham
az trail from old walnut cyn to fisher pt.

Rocky Ridge
lower red onion (mary-ann)
forces of nature/elden spring
weatherford

Hard Lower Oldham moved up
Lower Brookbank
Onceler moved up
Upper Brookbank
Sunset
Secret Trail obliterated
climb 3
old lower brookbank
overlook
fat man's loop
upper-upper sunset

Pickle
Upper Moto
Upper Oldham
hart
wasabi
private reserve

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Seems like the Flag trails fall into an easy/intermediate/difficult scale, rather than a gradational one, but some others that are toward the harder half of the list are:

Jedi
Lipizaner
Gimpy's Gully/Gimpy's Hart
Flying Fish
Meadow
upper and lower Hotshot (upper is now so eroded it should probably be decomissioned)
Kid trail
Kyle's trail (this will be obliterated and/or incorporated into the nw end of the secret reroute)
Ginger

And I assume Easter Island = Rock'n'roll = Old f**cker?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy schmokes, rocky! Can you break the list up into green/blue/black? Can someone fit rockman's additions into the list?

(While I do like the formality of IMBA's breakdown, I think everyone in here basically "gets" what an easy/intermediate/tough ride is all about.)

I'm bummed about upper Hotshot. That was my first-ever super-sekret social ride.

EDIT: My head is swimming with all these names. I'm thinking a link to Dale's map is in order, with my fingers crossed that many/most of these are GPS'ed into it.

p.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Paul B said:
Holy schmokes, rocky! Can you break the list up into green/blue/black? Can someone fit rockman's additions into the list?

(While I do like the formality of IMBA's breakdown, I think everyone in here basically "gets" what an easy/intermediate/tough ride is all about.)

I'm bummed about upper Hotshot. That was my first-ever super-sekret social ride.

EDIT: My head is swimming with all these names. I'm thinking a link to Dale's map is in order, with my fingers crossed that many/most of these are GPS'ed into it.

p.
Most of them are on his map, although he has different names for a couple. The trails closer to Snowbowl Rd and beyond are not on his map.

That's just my opinion on u. Hotshot. I don't know what's going to happen to it, but as a steep, severely eroded fall line trail I doubt it would ever get absorbed or approved into the fs approved system trail network. That's not to say I don't ride it on occasion but it sure is alot harder to climb.

·
Banned
860 Posts
I think the upper west Fort Valley Trail is more challenging than the lower sections. I added the trails at Fort Tuthill. I also added several trails that break off of the backside of Buffalo Park and go towards Fat Man's Loop. Alpha and Omega are names of two trails below the pipeline and the parallel trails above the pipeline are called The Sisters Of Mercy. They lead to Elden Gravesite where Treadstone (now part of the Loop Trail) begins and runs 3/4 mile and connects to Thirsty Dog (officially Wildlife Tree Trail), which runs a mile+ and ties into Elden Lookout Trail / Fat Man's Loop.

The Climb up to the Fisher Point Lookout is a mile long with a couple tech sections, making it more difficult than Little Gnarly. Since others are ranking Rocky Ridge and Lower Oldham among the more difficult, I suppose that means they are no longer handicap accessible trails as some elite locals use to describe them.

For those who have not ridden Campbell Mesa Trails, you should give the five trail cloverleaf at try. It is first to dry out and you can get in 30 miles of fast twisty single track riding during the early season.

Buffalo Park and FUTS
Campbell Mesa trails
Sovereign Trail (never heard of it)
Lower Moto
Lower Fort Valley
Dogfood Engineer
Easy Lower Oldham
flying fish
coyote road
Soldiers Trail (Fort Tuthill)
Christmas Tree / Sandy Seep
az trail from walnut cyn to I-40 and from there to tunnel at Townsend Winona & 89
lower moto
Schultz
Easter Island

Trails from Buffalo Park to Fat Mans Loop (Alpha / Omega, Sisters of Mercy (Ripley, Calamity Jane, Savannah Nix), Treadstone, Thirsty Dog
Bridge Trail (Fort Tuthill)
Little Elden (from the springs to Schultz Tank)
Upper West Fort Valley (Fort Valley Trails need better names)
Little Gnarly
AZ Trail to Fisher Point (moved down due to difficulty of final climb)
lamar heinous
Pipeline to Sandy Seep
Red Onion
onceler
new orion springs
az trail from old walnut cyn to walnut cyn
az trail from I-40 to sheep's hill

Little Bear

newham
az trail from old walnut cyn to fisher pt.
Rocky Ridge
lower red onion (mary-ann)
weatherford
Hard Lower Oldham
Lower Brookbank
Onceler
Upper Brookbank
Sunset
Secret Trail obliterated
climb 3
old lower brookbank
overlook
fat man's loop
upper-upper sunset
Pickle
Upper Moto
Upper Oldham
hart
wasabi
private reserve

Last Three

Amnesia by Swans
Don't Know How To Love by Mr. Airplane Man
World Class Fad by Paul Westerberg

·
Registered
676 Posts
Paul B said:
Shoot, I wish! The board is doing a great job of doing my work for me. But no. Teh interwebs killed guide books (I disagree, but that's what the publisher thinks).

p.
The publishers must be barking mad - I always try and good guide books before I go on MTB trip, I've got a copy of your book and Rays book and both have been very useful

I do also use the forums like this and other sites to gather info, but he guide books the best thing for building a foundation for any trip.

What would be realy good though is if when you bought a guide book there was a site you could download the GPX file for each of the routes from the books, as quite a few people use GPS on their bikes now

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You and me both! I think there's a lot to be said for editorial oversight, fact-checking, and so on that you just can't replicate very effectively online. This is a very solid list of lists, though, if you can track down your own maps.

p.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for all the trail listings guys, but I still have to make a decision. If you had one day to ride in Flagstaff, where would it be? I will be there the second week of November, and am looking for a full day to ride. I would say I have a good amount of fitness, and love me some singletrack. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
HOG farmer said:
Thanks for all the trail listings guys, but I still have to make a decision. If you had one day to ride in Flagstaff, where would it be? I will be there the second week of November, and am looking for a full day to ride. I would say I have a good amount of fitness, and love me some singletrack. Thanks in advance.
Well, I would say get a map of Mt. Elden, start up Schultz creek and ride whatever looks good. It did snow a bit today, however, so in a few weeks you may be out of luck on riding.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.