Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the mounting hardware for the 5th element is still available? I have a manitou metal r (complete crap, came with my bike), will the hardware fit the 5th element? I've also read very mixed reviews about progressive and this shock, anyone with experience tell me the pros & cons. I appreciate all the help.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Are we talking the air or the coil version??

I've used the air one. It has a very sophisticated damping which may be of your like or not. It relies more on damping than spring rate and it feels a bit harsh on the initial part of the travel.

Rebound is heavenly.

It's pretty light and easy to set-up, but it requires several tries before getting it right.

Now the cons... The company went belly up. Only a handful of tuners and Progressive themselves touch the things. They had a terrible record for reliability... most of them related to assembly problems. If you have one that was correctly assembled, you're in heaven.... but once it craps out, your own as nobody has spares or better said, NOBODY will sell you any spares.

The hardware for the Coil one is the same for Fox, Romic, Marzocchi, Avalanche, etc.

The hardware for the Air is a oddball size NOT compatile with anything else out there. The hardware for the CCDB, DT's and Magura's shocks... looks similar but it's not the same size.

Try with Garageworksuspension.com.... or Progressive directly.

I'd look somewhere else unless you're willing to go through the trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the response.

The shock I'm looking at is the coil with air assist and is on ebay listed as used for $125.

I emailed the seller and he told me the shock hasn't been mounted to any bike, and that he is selling them because they came direct from progressive (apparently he says that they still had a few and he is selling them?) This shock to me seems miles ahead of my manitou metal R. I'm looking for a cheap replacement that would allow me to expand the bike and my abilities. Do you think the price is fair? Also the seller has a 30 day guarantee that says "Within 10 days of receipt of your item, inspect it and test it out. If we have not described it's condition properly, please contact us to arrange a return and full refund. Within 30 days of receipt of your item, we warrant that the item will be free of any defects which have not been clearly stated in the Item Description. Simply contact us within 30 days to arrange for a return or a repair. We are very accommodating of our customers and are here to provide a pleasant and risk free Ebay experience. This warranty is 100% guaranteed, check our feedback rating!

Sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm thinking use the hell out of the shock and if it has any problems what so ever just return it within the ten or thirty day period! What do you think?

Again I really appreciate the help!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
146aj said:
Thank you very much for the response.

The shock I'm looking at is the coil with air assist and is on ebay listed as used for $125.

I emailed the seller and he told me the shock hasn't been mounted to any bike, and that he is selling them because they came direct from progressive (apparently he says that they still had a few and he is selling them?) This shock to me seems miles ahead of my manitou metal R. I'm looking for a cheap replacement that would allow me to expand the bike and my abilities. Do you think the price is fair? Also the seller has a 30 day guarantee that says "Within 10 days of receipt of your item, inspect it and test it out. If we have not described it's condition properly, please contact us to arrange a return and full refund. Within 30 days of receipt of your item, we warrant that the item will be free of any defects which have not been clearly stated in the Item Description. Simply contact us within 30 days to arrange for a return or a repair. We are very accommodating of our customers and are here to provide a pleasant and risk free Ebay experience. This warranty is 100% guaranteed, check our feedback rating!

Sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm thinking use the hell out of the shock and if it has any problems what so ever just return it within the ten or thirty day period! What do you think?

Again I really appreciate the help!
Might be worth of a try. Just be aware of the replacement parts thing. You'll need new hardware but it's the same as Fox, Romic, etc.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If the shock will be going on the bike listed in your profile (Haro X7)
IMO I think it's an excellent low buck,tunable shock for a high forward single pivot do it all bike.
While it works...;)

I have one for each of my SP bikes that I use for spares.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
146aj said:
The shock I'm looking at is the coil with air assist
If it is a 6 way coil the shock is quite stellar and will take some time to set up. Do your adjustments one at a time and take notes! All the adjustments work and have noticable impact in performance.
Print this out, follow set up and take notes:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/faq/cat/5th-element-coil/97.html

Like Warp said they can be a bit heavy damped so they require less spring, use this calculator:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html

I'm on 1.5 years of beat down on the coil :thumbsup:

I think the coils are reliable if you run within the correct spring rate. I've known riders to blow the rebound by being undersprung and adding too much preload.

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.