Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gahhh.... its acting up again. i used to just turn the "Position Sensitivity" knob all the way to the + side and it wouldnt click. it didnt work to well (wasnt super duper plush like i think it should be) but it worked. After my latest trip to mammoth it started clicking again, even with position sensitivity all the way to +. so i was messing around with it today and i noticed the little knob that adjusts rebound comes all the way out...

Wood Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Rim Hardwood

Brown Textile Leather Tan Material property

With the knob all the way out the rebound is great, it feels really plush. is it okay if i leave the knob all the way out? what is my best option there?
also i have a "Beginning Stoke," and an "End Stroke" thingy to turn ( either + or - ) so i just curios what these do? what does + or - do to it?

Blue Electric blue Azure Turquoise Teal
Beginning stroke

Blue Aluminum can Beverage can Electric blue Azure
Ending stroke

so will these maybe help the clicking?

i also thought that nmaybe i whould put more air in the shock. the website i reccomends 25psi i think (i'd look it up to be sure) so im guessing i just take of the whole "position sensitivity" thing to do that right?

Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim

So if i take that off will there be a place to put air in?

Anyway i have about two trips to northstar left and then im probably getting a new fram (thats a whole new thread) so what can i do to get rid of the clicking? if really loud popping clicking sounds are normal, okay, but its super duper annoying. Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

btw how do u put videos on here? i have one of the sound =O

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like there's no air in the reservoir, I don't know what the recommended pressure is for your weight/ that bike, but I've had to run about 140/150psi on mine. The two blue dials are for high speed & low speed compression, the red dial is for rebound- it should stay in the shock.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OKey. How do I put air in and what does adjusting the high and low speed do? I'll put the rebound knob back in then

·
Registered
706 Posts
Send it to Avalanche. You'll get a new custom tuned shock for cheap.

If you don't know how to put air in it STOP NOW. You're doing more damage.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't the avalanche rebuild $170? Putting air in can't be that bad can it? I just need it to hold for about 2 months

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you've been riding without air in it, it's clicking, and you can pull the rebound knob out it's already pretty done. If putting air in it is too complicated then just step away from the bike.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umm thanks dude. Great help. IT JUST STARTED CLICKING!!!!! I'm trying to prevent it from becoming "done." I just want to make sure I'm putting air in thar right way. I'm so glad you are supportive, Mr Blonde. It's always nice to have someone say "step away from the bike" all I wanted was a little help. I'm looking at the manual for it now.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Moosey said:
Umm thanks dude. Great help. IT JUST STARTED CLICKING!!!!! I'm trying to prevent it from becoming "done." I just want to make sure I'm putting air in thar right way. I'm so glad you are supportive, Mr Blonde. It's always nice to have someone say "step away from the bike" all I wanted was a little help. I'm looking at the manual for it now.
Delivery aside, he is actually giving you good advise. It is almost certain your shock needs an overhaul and the avalanche rebuild is a good deal. Adding air pressure if there is none would be the only possible thing you could adjust to stop clicking. Even if that did work a rebuild would still be a worthwhile investment.

Reading the manual is a good start. This shock was much discussed online when it was newer. There is a bunch information available. Avalanche also has some good information about the mod on their web site.

·
Registered
249 Posts
5th Element Easy set up guide

Minimum air pressure is 50 psi, the silver cap in the center of the position sensitivity adjuster comes off and the pump screws right on. You don't have to take anything off except the silver schrader valve cap.

Rebound knob shouldn't come out.

The compression adjusters aren't high and low speed, they are for beginning and ending stroke. The position sensitivity adjuster is supposed to control the point in the stroke at which the shock switches between the two.

I have an 8.75x2.75 5th in good condition from my old bike that you could try for a couple runs to see if you notice any difference. I will probably be at Northstar this weekend.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I got the air pressure done great, but when I tried to put the rebound knob back in, all the oil came out. You don't need to tell me how stupid I am, I know. I'm guessing there's no way to put more oil in, so what place has the fastest rebuild/oil change? I know the avalanche rebuild is 2 weeks, is any place faster? Do local bike shops do anything of the such? Is it even worth calling them?

Once again I know I'm dumb and stupid, u don't need to tell me. I only need help. Would like my shock in working condition by the 25th. Any advice?

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alrighty, thanks. i really appreciate it.

My other option is trying to sell my frame and shock for about $500, and then i could probably buy an 09 glory frame from a guy i've been talking to whos ready to sell it for $1k. im probably going to get the frame soon anyway, may just be sooner than i thouhg... so if u or anyone u know wants and m1 frame, pm me. (is $500 a fair price?)

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Not only does Avalanche rebuild it, they completely change the inside of the shock from Curnutt style to a traditional shimmed piston. It will work MUCH better than it ever did.

If you have someone else rebuild it have the same conversion done.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i realize avalanche is the best, but i need it back before the 25th if at all possible.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Moosey said:
This could be exactly what i need... looks legit

http://www.thebrokenbike.com/progressive_fifth_coil_rebuild.html

and lets say about 2 day (priority or whatever that fast stuff is) shipping, about 48 hors for service, and then 3 days back, thats pretty good.

Correct me of my time frame is off.

anyone have info on these guys?
Kyle is a good guy, and knows his s**t about 5ths. Between him and Craig at Avy, Ive got some of the best performing shocks I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
If you send your shock off today or tomorrow to Avalanche you would probably have it back by the 25th. Call Craig and see. An Avatized 5th on a Intense would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts