Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a shot of the frame in progress. Seatstays and finishing work this week, and hopefully I'll send it off to paint my middle of next week. My fillets are structurally sound, but they aren't the most pretty things to behold (i.e. lots of cleanup).

Bike will have Midge bars (tall head tube), Mutano Raptors, front disc, 36-18 fixed, etc.... I think I will make provisions for a rear brake in case somewhere down the road I want to add one.

Oh, and the Rudi Nadler print behind the frame for good fixie mojo...

Attachments

·
elbow gloves
221 Posts
Very Nice!

I'm toying around with frame building myself and hope to be brazing soon as well. What made you choose brazing? I'm probably going to start the same way but just curious. Do you have any pics of your jig? The Zion fork is a pleasant surprise:thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used both brazing and TIG and I really love the feel of brazing. It seems so much more organic vs. TIG feeling very mechanical. I built my own version of the Tim T. Version 2.0 jig that can be found here.

this is my second frame so far, and my fist frame "on my own" so lots of learning!

·
pepito
640 Posts
sweet looking ride. self-built bikes are always sweet and soulful, this one is no exception. the fillets don't look sloppy at all to me.

the_dude

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Great work D! I'm seriously jealous. It is one thing to plop down the cash for a ride but quite another to put your own sweat and elbow grease into it.

I noticed you said you were going to run the Mutano Raptors. I've been running those for a long time on my CC. I recently got a set of the Bontrager 1.8s. I've only got about 50 miles on them, but I like them better on all accounts. The fit is about the same as the 44c Mutanos, but I think the Bonty tire rolls at least as well and is more comfortable. Definitely worth a look!

Great job and make sure to keep us updated!

LP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lanpope said:
Great work D! I'm seriously jealous. It is one thing to plop down the cash for a ride but quite another to put your own sweat and elbow grease into it.

I noticed you said you were going to run the Mutano Raptors. I've been running those for a long time on my CC. I recently got a set of the Bontrager 1.8s. I've only got about 50 miles on them, but I like them better on all accounts. The fit is about the same as the 44c Mutanos, but I think the Bonty tire rolls at least as well and is more comfortable. Definitely worth a look!

Great job and make sure to keep us updated!

LP
I can't believe how much the Mutano's weight for how narrow they are! I will try and track down a set of the Bonti's. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts