Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an order in how you progress?

For example, do I need to learn how to do a decent manual, then a bunnyhop into manual, before I can laern abubacas and fufanus?

Really what Im asking is does anyone have a good order to progress in so I dont discourage myself?

·
Registered
78 Posts
An abubaca is where you bunnyhop onto a ledge or rail and balance on your rear wheel, stall for a moment, and jump of and half cab or 180 out. A fafanu is where you're on an incline and you put a foot down and lift your bike up and spin on your foot that's on the ground and plant the bike down and ride away.

As to the original question, I think abubacas and fafanus are easier to learn than a bunnyhop to manual. Just practice the motion of a abubaca on a curb to start and slowly progress to bigger things. Fafanus dont take a lot of experience with bunnyhops or manuals and can be learned pretty easily. But for some tricks, there definately is a progression of tricks. To get a bunnyhop to manual, you need to be able to bunnyhop and manual good. To get a manual barspin, you need to be able to do a manual and a barspin and have them down really well. Hope this helps!

·
Local Paperboy Hero
986 Posts
grunt2960 said:
An abubaca is where you bunnyhop onto a ledge or rail and balance on your rear wheel, stall for a moment, and jump of and half cab or 180 out. A fafanu is where you're on an incline and you put a foot down and lift your bike up and spin on your foot that's on the ground and plant the bike down and ride away.
Dude, why would you respond when you obviously don't know what you're talking about??? That is not a fufanu. And it isn't an abubaca if you 180 out. An abubaca is when you roll up to a ledge or lip on a ramp, bunnyhop, stall on you back wheel, then roll out fakie. A fufanu is the same thing, except you 180 out and ride away forward.

Giantrider, I know it sounds obvious, but just ride. Practice your bunnyhops and manuals everywhere you go. Then, try bunnyhopping on to something and landing in a manual. Practice abubacas on small curbs or ledges. Spend time on a BMX track, that will really help develop jumping skills. Ride on.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Cru Jones said:
Dude, why would you respond when you obviously don't know what you're talking about??? That is not a fufanu. And it isn't an abubaca if you 180 out. An abubaca is when you roll up to a ledge or lip on a ramp, bunnyhop, stall on you back wheel, then roll out fakie. A fufanu is the same thing, except you 180 out and ride away forward.

Giantrider, I know it sounds obvious, but just ride. Practice your bunnyhops and manuals everywhere you go. Then, try bunnyhopping on to something and landing in a manual. Practice abubacas on small curbs or ledges. Spend time on a BMX track, that will really help develop jumping skills. Ride on.
Werd Cru.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My boy has been working with abubacas for a while and is now sticking em pretty damn good. If I remember right he started on a embankment (sp?). He'd ride up the bank, bunnyhop and stall on his rear to fakie back down. Keeping his front wheel up seemed to be the challenge. Once he was able to keep his front up he moved onto these clamshells at the skatepark.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been trying to do abubacas on this little mulch pile at my house. Today I got as far as bunnyhopping onto the pile and landing on my rear wheel. I was in what I thought to be perfect position, but then my frnt end kept falling. I tried it about 100 times and couldnt figure out wtf i was doing wrong. And yes I was using the brakes.

Is it just that I am not putting my weight back far enough?

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
yeah....you gotta pull way far back. your stopping all ur momentum so you gotta put ur back tire way forward. if doesnt feel like ur gonna land on ur ass u arnt far enuf back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.