Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if you guys think it's worthwhile to build-up an old Proflex FS or Razorback frame? Just looking to build something up slowly to learn on. Used to have a Proflex 656 back in 96 and loved the bike so thought I'd look for one of those or another higher model Proflex.

Razorback would be nice to build-up too but would cost more I'd think since they are more recent.

Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I really like my Razorback, but it might be wise to take into consideration the fact that finding frame parts might become increasingly difficult. Obviously the Razorback and Proflex models are no longer made. To complicate matters further, another reader/poster said that K2 sold the rights for the Razorback to Iron Horse. And Iron Horse has been less than helpful in helping him get new chainstays. If this is true, as good as these bikes are, I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
World Wide Cycle Supply and K2 Bike

Hello all,

World Wide Cycle Supply, the owners of the Iron Horse bicycle brand, licensed the K2 Bike brand from K2 Sports last fall. In addition to myself, three other people who were directly involved in the development of K2 Bike at K2 Sports are still actively guiding the direction of the brand now under WWCS.

It is important for everyone involved that the identities of the Iron Horse and K2 Bike brands stay separate and distinctly different. The two brands' characteristics appeal to different types of riders and consumers, which is a prime reason why WWCS was interested in K2 Bike. You won't see any DW-Link equipped K2 Bike models in the future, and you definitely won't see any Iron Horse Razorbacks!

It's not viable to build Razorbacks anymore due to the custom pull-shock design that it's based on. Noleen no longer exists as a bicycle suspension supplier, and Fox is no longer making their custom Float shocks for the Razorback design.

The 2006 K2 Bike Apache frame design could be thought of as a modern, longer-travel successor to the Razorback that uses standard shock mounting hardware. See other threads in this forum positive feedback from previous Razorback riders who have made the switch.

Regarding service parts availability for Proflex and K2 Bike designs, we'll try to keep everyone riding and smiling for as long as we can. Keep in mind that the older a bike gets, the less likely parts will be available to service it - true for nearly every bike company.

I'll see what we can do to help the Razorback owner in the other post, and reply to him there. As others have noted on this forum, Tom B. of WWCS has been very helpful in taking care of many others who needed help and parts to keep their old bikes running smoothly.

Regards,
T.K. Malone
K2 Bike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thekid - thanks for the post! Good to hear! I suppose it's possible to replace the stock suspension from the old ProFlex's with something more recent anyways?
Too bad about the Razorbacks... they are one heck of a bike from the looks of it!
Perhaps something will come out that can be used down the road and they can be produced again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Strong language...

Umberto,

I understand your concerns, but the situation on RB service parts really doesn't seem that bad from my perspective. Let me know if there's something specific that you need that you haven't been able to get, and I'll see what I can find from the inside.

Derailleur hangers, the most commonly needed frame part, are readily available from multiple sources, and are the same ones currently used on K2 mountain bikes.

The sealed bearings in a RB are pretty standard sizes, available through your local bearing house if you don't need the other hardware in a full rebuild kit.

While I admit that WWCS/K2 Bike probably doesn't have an extensive supply of spares on hand for the front triangles or stays at the moment, we can (and probably will) order some more soon, once we all understand the details of the situation.

Interestingly, the chainstays from a 2006 K2 Bike Apache frame seem compatible with recent Razorback frames. They are identical in almost every dimension except overall length - a few mm longer than original RB stays. We'll test this theory in practice soon.

The only two items that we can't get more of, regardless of how much we'd like to, are the carbon seat stay strut and the Fox pull-shock.

The carbon seat stay strut is a luxury item. Personally, I don't feel like the performance gains are worth tracking one down and making the switch from the perfectly functional aluminum one on my bike, and it would be easier for me than virtually anyone else on the planet.

The Fox pull-shock is really the keystone that the recent Razorback designs were built around. It was also, at one time, offered with a special, aluminum seat stay strut as an upgrade for older bikes that originally came with the Noleen shocks. I'm not sure how many of these special are still available. Based on the limited availability of the Fox pull-shocks, we won't aggressively promote this upgrade path like we might have in the past.

It's a fact, Fox will no longer make these custom pull-shocks for us, or anyone else for that matter. However, barring a structural failure or riding the shock without proper, regular servicing to keep it working well, they should be able to service existing shocks for years to come. Between Fox and WWCS/K2 Bike, there are still a limited number of brand-new pull shocks still available at this time.

If you're determined to keep a Razorback complete, period correct and pristine as if it just came out of the box, then by all means hang it on the wall as a conversation piece. Would I buy a thrashed one on eBay, hoping to restore it to original condition and ride it forever without a single problem - absolutely not. If you're looking to enjoy one that's in good shape as it was meant to be used, then build it up and go riding - that's what I do with mine.

Speaking on behalf of K2 Bike, we'll do what we can (within reason) to help you enjoy riding your old bike as long as possible, and then make it attractive for you to upgrade to a newer K2 Bike design when eventually necessary. Anyone can feel free to private message me through this forum if they need specific advice. While I won't always tell you exactly what you might want to hear, I will be fair and open about what's possible regarding K2 Bike.

Cheers,
T.K. Malone
K2 Bike

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
T.K.
Thanks for your post. I had originally believed it to be hard to get a hold of parts for the Razorback specifically the unique shocks and the seat stays. Bearings I thought wouldn't be hard to find but I never was completely sure because I have yet to need to replace my originals. I had no idea some parts and shocks for the bike could be reached through K2 as I thought they were nearly extinct. The RB is a very solid frame to build off of and if parts are still available then there's no reason why not to build up a new bike from it.
Umberto

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm so if I decide to go that route... I would just buy 2-3 spare shocks... just in case! If I end up changing bikes and still have the spares I am sure I can still sell them to someone that needs em.
Haven't seen those shocks around - but then again - I haven't been looking very hard for those particular ones.
Thanks for the great info!

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
LOL, You can spares but i doubt you'll ever be needing 4 shocks for your bike, having a spare might be a good idea but whatever floats your boat is fine.
I have the original noleen mega air pull-shock as well as a noleen coil pull-shock I scraped off ebay for $50 or so.
Also, what kind of riding do you do, Ottawa, just wondering?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the moment... none... since I am still undecided about a bike :) hehehe

However... I am looking for a decent FS bike that I can use for anything and everything. During the week it will be mostly hard trails and XC (for exercise) and on weekends I want to do some downhilling and more aggressive XC... but nothing crazy... since this is to get me back into things.

Will either be Razorback build-up... GT IDXC 3.0... or Spec. FSR xc.
Could also consider certain hardtails... but would like a FS bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So went to the lbs again yesterday to try and haggle on the FSRxc Comp... when I found a brand new Razorback there for sale! Was surprised to say the least since it wasn't there the day before. Turns out... they were waiting for a new shock for it but the bike itself is brand new. Still WAY out of my price range but man what a nice bike!

·
Registered
2 Posts
K2 cracked frame warranty questions.

Nice to see a K2 rep posting on this site. I have a 2001 Razorback which I just cracked the frame in the seat tube just below the shock and above the front der clamp. Strange? It cracked completely across the entire seat tube! Anyway, I just left it off at a dealer in NH. Knowing that the frame has a 5-year warrranty, I was wondering what K2 would possibly do for a warrranty replacement? Thanks

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
This merger saddens me greatly. K2 was a great company and has the following it does because of their excellent customer service. I just spoke with the customer service manager at WWC and am not impressed. I am the proud owner of (3) K2 frames - -(2) of which are basically brand new, ridden less than 5 times. Now they're freaking collectors items with no customer support.

·
Registered
731 Posts
This merger saddens me greatly. K2 was a great company and has the following it does because of their excellent customer service. I just spoke with the customer service manager at WWC and am not impressed. I am the proud owner of (3) K2 frames - -(2) of which are basically brand new, ridden less than 5 times. Now they're freaking collectors items with no customer support.
I hope my cut and paste works...first try at such a maneuver! :rolleyes:
Well my Razorback's rear shock(Fox Float RL) is fried. We'll see how things work out. I called K2, erh, I mean WWC today. Much to my delight, they said they had some pull shocks in stock, but I'd have to order through an LBS. Cost is @ $200. After talking to the local wrench, he called Fox and they told him they could rebuild my shock for between $50 and $85. Again I was quite pleased. I think I expected to run into dead ends with both companies, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm gonna be without a bike (mtn bike at least) for probably a month or so (hey, I'm an optimist) but I was prepared for much worse. I actually scoured ebay last night for frames. Like I said, we'll see what happens, but it seems like WWC and Fox were ready to step up to the plate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
k2biker,

I personally appreciate your devotion to K2 Bike - I have a strong emotional attachment to the brand, too.

You probably would have been far more deeply saddened if K2 had simply given up on the bicycle business altogether, instead of licensing the brand to WWCS. From my perspective, it seemed to be a distinct possibility in the time period leading up to the agreement last fall.

Your comment of "No customer support" seems a little extreme. Others on this forum have shared stories of positive experiences with K2 Bike/WWCS warranty/service parts staff. We're doing what we can to re-stock the common K2 Bike replacement parts when possible, and trying to provide other options in the cases where they are no longer available.

So, while you may not always like the answers you get regarding K2 Bike going forward, there will be people dedicated to responding to your questions and concerns.

Cheers,
T.K. Malone
K2 Bike

k2biker said:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.