Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It took major companies years to develop geometry that works with 29" wheels. Stuffing some in there will never work. Just ride it like it is.
You’re right 29ers weren’t made for this frame s/o to proflex, but I got the bike for free. I figured I’d just tinker around a bit right? Plus I enjoy taking bikes apart and it’s a challenge! Useless you say..maybe hah but I mean if i end up hating the way it rides then I’ll just slap the ole wheels back on or try some 27.5s loll

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Check the Shimano components for date codes to identify the bike within a year or so. I sold those in my shop around then, but I can't remember the exact year of the purple frame. I think I remember a forest green frame on the 5 series in 1995 or 1996?
Sweet thank you I didn’t even think about that! Did you ever try them out?

·
slow
7,157 Posts
Sweet thank you I didn’t even think about that! Did you ever try them out?
I only rode the entry level models like this one around the parking lot, but I had a couple of demos of their higher end bikes in my rental fleet so I took those out on the local trails a few times. They seemed to ride OK, but I haven't really ever been a fan of full suspension bikes so wasn't overly impressed. I still don't ride full suspension bikes today.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Probably not exact, but I had the same exact Shimano stx rear derailleur, Girvan rock ring, and profile crossbar on my 1994 Dback Topanga trials bike.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts