Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to restore this for some single track/gravel use. I think I’m going to swap the wheels for 700/29s. Definitely will need to replace gears( seems like the previous owner spray painted the silver lol), shifters, derailer, cables but I’m not to sure about the front fork and rear spring. I thinking the fork might be manageable if I clean it well. Otherwise I might just try to find a rigid one and go with that. It looks like there is some crusty stuff preventing it from traveling.

but would anybody be able to identify this model for me? The closest I got was the 550?
Any tips/pointers are much appreciated! This will be my first project/restoration.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
550 would be model year '90. I thought they still had the "Off Road" badging in 1990. I would guess a few years later. Also running STX which would say mid 90s to me. So a 555 maybe?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You plan to put 29/700c?

That is a 26” bike. Suggest borrow a 29er wheel from someone to try to fit it in the rear first.

Front, you can put on a 29er fork with straight tube steering. The bike will ride very interesting to say the least.

·
Your Best Friend
5,407 Posts
I think I’m going to swap the wheels for 700/29s.
That's not going to happen. Even if the wheels fit, they won't line up on the caliper brakes.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You plan to put 29/700c?

That is a 26” bike. Suggest borrow a 29er wheel from someone to try to fit it in the rear first.

Front, you can put on a 29er fork with straight tube steering. The bike will ride very interesting to say the least.
Ahahaha yes definitely going to be interesting/it’s old not expecting too much. If i can get some life back into it I’d be happy. The wheels I won’t do till I’ve got the mechanics squared but I did fit my road bike’s 700c rims and wheels on and they fit with a bit of wiggle room for wider tires. I found some adapters for to move the brakes up to fit those rims as well. Sweet ty I’ll look into a front fork like that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
550 would be model year '90. I thought they still had the "Off Road" badging in 1990. I would guess a few years later. Also running STX which would say mid 90s to me. So a 555 maybe?
Awesome thank you, yeah tge 555 looks real similar.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,340 Posts
Unless you're planning on welding new canti brake posts onto the frame, there is no way on this green earth you're going to put 29" wheels on it.

Unless you're planning on not using brakes.

·
Ride what you like!
712 Posts
I did fit my road bike’s 700c rims and wheels on and they fit with a bit of wiggle room for wider tires. I found some adapters for to move the brakes up to fit those rims as well.
I'd be interested in a link to, or picture of that piece if possible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It took major companies years to develop geometry that works with 29" wheels. Stuffing some in there will never work. Just ride it like it is.

·
Registered
500 Posts
They used to make a brake where the brake arms where extended themselves, I cannot seem to find them anywhere right now, used to sell on ebay. On the plus side, with your plans, you can run disc on the front, only adapt the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They used to make a brake where the brake arms where extended themselves, I cannot seem to find them anywhere right now, used to sell on ebay. On the plus side, with your plans, you can run disc on the front, only adapt the rear.
ho that’s an idea!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts