Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
Really interesting bikes (especially the linkage fork), but at this point probably more valuable as a collector's piece than as a bike to actually hit the trails with.

Arguably a good frame/fork design 16-18 years ago, but a lot has improved since then.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had a K2 Proflex 4000 for a while (K2 bought out Proflex in the late 90's and did another round of upgrades to the frame).

They are great bikes, nice and light, but they have a few issues. One issue is that the single pivot point isn't exactly over-engineered. Some people have come up with bearing conversions for them that fixes the eventual issues, but that seemed like a lot of work...

The bigger issue is that shocks sucked back then. The rear shock on mine blew out and there aren't many choices to replace or repair it. I did some cutting and grinding and managed to fit an RP23 on the back, which really helped out.

I actually really liked the Girvin fork on the front, but same issue--the damper sucks. I always thought it could be a nice modern fork with a modern air shock in there (like an RP23). When the factory shock started leaking i swapped on a normal Manitou fork and sold it.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I don't remember what the numbers are, as far as the frame spec. But a buddy of mine still rides an old carbon ProFlex. He's on the forums. Jazclrint I believe is his user name. Actually, right this second his bike his hanging in my garage while he's out playing around in the Gulf of Mexico on some little tub. Anyhow, he's upgraded the shocks, front and rear are some sort of Fox air deal, and apparently he has 70mm of travel up front. He has designed a cam style mount for the front shock that will allow him to get a touch over 90 (92mm?) of travel once he gets it machined.

Having ridden the bike, I'll say this. I started riding MTB in the late 80's. Back then, this bike (98?) would have been a dream. Actually, it was a bit of a dream ride when it was made. Now it feels a bit pointy and awkward. But it brings back memories of how stuff was, it's fun, and it just about always starts conversations. Even if it's myself or someone else telling him his bike belongs in a museum.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
I thought that could be the first upgrade was a longer travel fork with a lock out. Not sure the bike is still available to buy but I really liked the idea of a bike that light for the $$$
First thing to unlearn from road riding is the obsession with light weight. Yes, it is nice but you need to knock weight down a few spots on your list of priorities.

Stiffness, suspension performance, reliability/durability, are just a few that trump light weight, and by even 2004 standards (let alone 2014), that bike comes up pretty short.

Do not buy this with thought of just upgrading stuff. Besides getting expensive quick, Your options are going to be limited because of changing "standards" (an almost meaningless term in cycling these day).

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Really interesting bikes (especially the linkage fork), but at this point probably more valuable as a collector's piece than as a bike to actually hit the trails with.

Arguably a good frame/fork design 16-18 years ago, but a lot has improved since then.
Interesting, yes.
Desirable, no.
Do a search to verify.
Rented one back in the day, and while climbing it was like riding a pogo stick.
IMHO Far better options exist. Any F/S bike that is pre disc brakes is dated, and a waste of $$.

(tapa)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I had a K2 Proflex 4000 for a while (K2 bought out Proflex in the late 90's and did another round of upgrades to the frame).

They are great bikes, nice and light, but they have a few issues. One issue is that the single pivot point isn't exactly over-engineered. Some people have come up with bearing conversions for them that fixes the eventual issues, but that seemed like a lot of work...

The bigger issue is that shocks sucked back then. The rear shock on mine blew out and there aren't many choices to replace or repair it. I did some cutting and grinding and managed to fit an RP23 on the back, which really helped out.

I actually really liked the Girvin fork on the front, but same issue--the damper sucks. I always thought it could be a nice modern fork with a modern air shock in there (like an RP23). When the factory shock started leaking i swapped on a normal Manitou fork and sold it.
This. Perfectly said and 100% the truth.

Some older bikes - pre disk brakes- are not bad. Older Specialized FSR bikes for example are fantastic. The Pro-flex, unfortunately, is not one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.