Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought into the "6c's are the lightest downhill cranks" claim and believed they would be twice as tough as I would ever need. I really wanted to like these cranks, and I did for about 3 months. They are super stiff, super light, and look very cool. But like every aluminum crank I have owned since I was a kid in the late 70's, the arm to spindle joint deformed and developed slop. I mostly ride enduro type trails with small to medium jumps. Good Gawd, I'm a 185 lb 50 yo that doesn't crash hard and very conscious about clean parts, grease, and torque settings. I really don't believe I abused this part. The carbon part is great, but aluminum just sucks. Does anyone have any recent experience with Profile chromoly MTB cranks? Their BMX set were the only ones to ever be good to me. I want to put some on my flat black Mojo 3 with a SRAM XO1 1x11 drivetrain. In Chrome to loudly announce that I'm using steel that works...if it works.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Im sure its fine. Its an 800g tank of a crankset.

The Raceface interface for the crank to axle sort of sucks. You could swap over to a shimano crank and be done with the problem forever. Sure the profile crank will work too, but its expensive as hell and its heavy. A $100 xt crank would do you well, no one ovals them out since they use pinch bolts. Or XTR, which has proven to be ridiculous strong as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.