Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you figure the chainline with these? I'd like to use the FSA X-Drive BB and it looks like it's either a 140 mm (5.5") or 155 mm (6.1") spindle. I would be using a 94/58 spider for granny, mid, bash setup.

I've found loose arms at danscomp, but no spiders. Haven't called Profile and they don't show the spiders on their web site. I guess I could buy the complete set from Profile and toss their BB back on eBay.

edit: I found the spiders on profile.com and loose arms. I also found a reference to needing a 6" spindle for the euro bottom brackets buried in some obscure spot, so I guess that's it.

What chainline do you get with the 6" spindle?

Monte

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Monte said:
How do you figure the chainline with these? I'd like to use the FSA X-Drive BB and it looks like it's either a 140 mm (5.5") or 155 mm (6.1") spindle. I would be using a 94/58 spider for granny, mid, bash setup.

I've found loose arms at danscomp, but no spiders. Haven't called Profile and they don't show the spiders on their web site. I guess I could buy the complete set from Profile and toss their BB back on eBay.

edit: I found the spiders on profile.com and loose arms. I also found a reference to needing a 6" spindle for the euro bottom brackets buried in some obscure spot, so I guess that's it.

What chainline do you get with the 6" spindle?

Monte
The chainline is infinitely adjustable. It has a floating spindle so you just add, move and/or remove spacers between the bearings and arm as needed. One of the reasons I like Profile (type) cranks.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
The chainline is infinitely adjustable. It has a floating spindle so you just add, move and/or remove spacers between the bearings and arm as needed. One of the reasons I like Profile (type) cranks.
Am I correct with the 6" spindle?

Thanks Shiggy,
Monte

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
The 5.75" spindle is ideal for a triple ring setup on most frames. For a 1x9 single front ring setup, I've used a 5.5" spindle without any problems on 68 and 73mm bb shells.

In some cases the 6" spindle might be too long -- like if you've got a 68mm shell and you're shooting for a narrow as possible Q-factor.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zahgurim said:
But, using the FSA outboard bearings instead of the Profile internal bearings may mess up your chainline by forcing the spider too far outboard.

Measure carefully, to be sure it will work for you.
I hadn't thought of using an outboard bearing bb at all, wasn't going to. Didn't know you could do that.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
zahgurim said:
But, using the FSA outboard bearings instead of the Profile internal bearings may mess up your chainline by forcing the spider too far outboard.

Measure carefully, to be sure it will work for you.
The FSA X-Drive BB is NOT the new style outboard bearing BB. It is a direct replacement for the 19mm spindle Profile Racing Euro BB.

Totally different designs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.