Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to know if anyone out there uses a coach to help develop an annual plan for training and racing. I'm considering turning off my Direct Tv and using the extra $ to hire one for the season, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I've been given a name from Wenzel Coaching services for a coach in Wisconsin, and it sounds like we'd be a good match. I'm just looking for a little more info. from people that have gone this route in the past before I contact him. Were you happy with the way it worked out? How much did they change your schedule? etc. Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I used a coach for several years. I saw a HUGE improvement. Having someone to "owe" your workouts to is a good incentive. FasCatCoaching Highly recommend you give Frank a call. :thumbsup:

The rising cost of racing and living has forced me to part ways, but I'm working on using my own knowledge gained through being coached, racing and training to become a coach someday...

A good coach will help to work around all of your scheduling conflicts and be available for communication.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes. I've used coaches that are a complete ripoff in the past when I first started adventure racing...but more recently (last 2 years) I worked with Kristen Dieffenbach who is an accomplished endurance racer (mtb and adventure racing)...and I am now coached by my husband (who also coaches others). I can't imagine trying to figure this stuff out on my own. It's important to find a coach that's a good match for your personality, though.

I would expect to pay around $200/month for a decent coach.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I would say the human body is a complex machine that doesn't come with a manual. If you want to soup it up and get the most out of it you should consult an expert. You could spend years wrecking yourself and pissing away money if you try to figure it out on your own. There's a lot of science to training properly. Ask your new coach choices for a few references. Not just name-dropping, REFERENCES.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, if I think it's so great then why don't I do it? I prefer to experiment and screw around too much. I like to blow off rides when I feel like it. I like beer (a lot). I hate intervals. A coach might have told me NOT to do the Trans Rockies, The E100, and the Shenandoah 100 in a three week time frame. I piss all my extra money away on bike parts, travel and entry fees. My wife said "no coaches".

·
Registered
408 Posts
coaching

just a quick comment -

Biggest mistake I watch clients make is to sign the check & think they are done. Besides investing money in a coach, you gotta invest TIME communicating. I can't count the number of times clients have given me a post mortem on how bad something went "last weekend" when I could have helped them avoid the mistake if they had talked to me before they went and did it. The best results I see from clients are the ones who are either very focused in sticking to a program, or the ones who are on the cell phone to me every 5 days with "hey I need to tweak this what should I do?".

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I also have worked with Kristen D; but more so for the "mental" aspect of training. I highly recommend her.

And also agree with the advice above; signing the check doesn't mean done. It takes a big commitment and pure focus on your goals. If you want to be a podium finisher; your coach should push you to your limits, physically, mentally, time-wise. But if you don't back it up on your end and don't put 100% effort then it's a waste of your time and a waste of your coaches time.

Be honest with him/her with your goals and commitments. If you want to train x hours a week and go to x level, but you have a spouse/kids/job/other hobbies, make sure to convey that to your coach and your spouse, etc. Balance is key, and making a commitment for something that you will end up only half honoring will become a signifigant struggle between yourself and your other priorities.

The old, "Don't bite off more than you can chew"....

·
Read Only
950 Posts
For better or worse, I have decided that I am un-coachable. I like to do local short track races, XC races, 50's, 100's, solo 24's, and now I am adding a stage race. All in the same season. I am pretty sure that a coach would tell me to cut some of that out of the schedule. Somehow I have made consistent gains over the last few seasons, but like most self coached cyclists I couldn't really tell you what part of my program is working for me or why. I am "in-tune" with what my body needs (and if you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you) and train by how I feel. I am sure the coaches out there are shaking their collective heads in disgust. The rest of you must be very underwhelmed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Topeak-Ergon Racing
708 Posts
I have worked with a coach since 04 and have been very happy with the results. I spent close to two years deciding if I needed one and then deciding a particular one before pulling the trigger. The need for one came with a change in focus from XC to 24s. My decision to hire my coach came from recommendations, his past racing experience, and how easy I found it to speak with him. Communication is the key to any good relationship...same with coaching. You need to be honest with yourself and your coach as they should be with you. Your coach does not need to know it all, but you should be able to trust in what they do know.

I am currently writing my physical training plans and using my coach to stay sharp mentally and bounce ideas off of. I think I am past needed to be accountable to someone for my training goals, but it's still good to have an objective opinion.

Oh and just because I had/have a coach does not mean I stop looking for solutions for myself. Read everything, digest slowly, and never stop improving.

Good luck,

Eddie O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.