Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i upgraded my cranks about a month ago to a set of Raceface Prodigy cranks. Cranks went on with out a hitch and have been serving me well, today i go to take my bike down for a good cleaning and a new chain and that is where the poop hit the rotory oscillator. I used my handy dandy crank removal tool that i purchased at the LBS and removed the left (non drive side) arm. Popped right off no probs, THEN i went to use it on the drive side but what the hell NO THREADS! Threaded tool...threadless crank...BIG PROBLEM! I am at a loss, what OTHER tool do i need to get the other side off? Thanks Mark.

·
born again
652 Posts
What happened to the threads?

MeanGuy said:
Ok, i upgraded my cranks about a month ago to a set of Raceface Prodigy cranks. Cranks went on with out a hitch and have been serving me well, today i go to take my bike down for a good cleaning and a new chain and that is where the poop hit the rotory oscillator. I used my handy dandy crank removal tool that i purchased at the LBS and removed the left (non drive side) arm. Popped right off no probs, THEN i went to use it on the drive side but what the hell NO THREADS! Threaded tool...threadless crank...BIG PROBLEM! I am at a loss, what OTHER tool do i need to get the other side off? Thanks Mark.

Both arms should have threads, I have an old set of Prodigy cranks lying around and just looked to confirm this. If the drive side crank doesn't have threads I'm not sure how you would get the arm off as the puller uses those threads to push against. Perhaps there is another way to remove the arm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, i wish i could get the pics to upload, mine is retarded and has threads on one side only, it is really starting to piss me off too...i am about to attempt to beat the damn thing off with a mallet, i wonder if a bearing puller would work, i could probably rent one from checkers. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the gear puller worked, scratched up my cranks pretty bad but i guess that is the price i pay for getting crappy cranks, next time i will go with FSA or Shimano.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
MeanGuy said:
Well the gear puller worked, scratched up my cranks pretty bad but i guess that is the price i pay for getting crappy cranks, next time i will go with FSA or Shimano.
Sounds like a Warranty problem to me. Get intouch with the person you bought it from ASAP and get it sorted...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the cranks are an older set i purchased off ebay, well outside of their warranty period. However i did email raceface and ask their advice on how to remove them and this is what they said:

Mark,
Your only option would be to use a mechanical gear puller. They are available at any automotive location, they will generally have 3 or 4 fingers which thread onto a rod with a fixed spindle. They should remove your arm without difficulty, or much damage at all.

thanks,

RaceFace Warranty & Tech Services
604.527.9996 x 249
800.527.9959 x 249

kinda sucky eh? you would think they would be a little more helpful. Oh well i know not to buy raceface next time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for maintenance, i completely dismantle it about once a month to clean and make sure everything is still straight, this was the first time i had attempted to do it with the new cranks on...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Is there any sign of threads were there previously or, has someone ground them off? As far as the comments from the Raceface tech, did you expect them to offer you a new set under warranty? My experience with a lot of manufacturers is they don't even reply to email. I guess this is a prime example of someone being ripped off by an unscrupulous ebayer.
MeanGuy said:
Well the cranks are an older set i purchased off ebay, well outside of their warranty period. However i did email raceface and ask their advice on how to remove them and this is what they said:

Mark,
Your only option would be to use a mechanical gear puller. They are available at any automotive location, they will generally have 3 or 4 fingers which thread onto a rod with a fixed spindle. They should remove your arm without difficulty, or much damage at all.

thanks,

RaceFace Warranty & Tech Services
604.527.9996 x 249
800.527.9959 x 249

kinda sucky eh? you would think they would be a little more helpful. Oh well i know not to buy raceface next time.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm just a bit mystified as to how you could install them, supposedly with threads intact, and now they're gone. Only thing that comes to mind is that you somehow stripped the threads during installation...but I'd think you'd notice thread shavings or something during the removal of the installation tool...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Yep, don't know what the heck I was thinking, can't blame video games but maybe that Lagunitas Gnarlywine snuck up on me! Although the thread condition is something I check prior to installation even with a new crank, had a stripped one a long time ago and didn't like that experience much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.