Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had problems with there XT Front Mech, i'm talking about the Shimano XT F-Mech Top Swing 8sp FD-M739 (Which acording the the Shimano Site, doesn't exist).

The one I had on my ride got broken last week, so I had to order a new one, but when this arrived Shimano have changed the cable routing, and i'm having a nightmare setting it up. (hanger goes past largest sprocket).

I'm using Shimano XT M740 8Speed Shift Levers (Again, acording the the Shimano Site, doesn't exist).

Any ideas, thoughts, comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved (ish!)

Its ok, I did a bit more investigation.

Feeling a bit foolish I didn't notice, but the store had sent me a Top pull mech, instead of the requested Bottom pull.

Still have no idea why the part numbers aren't on the Shimano Site.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not personally...

UKConfused said:
Cheers

True, don't want to go to 9sp, what's the point, I'm sure Bill Gates owns Shimano

Have you any experience using 9sp front mech on an 8sp system, i've seen mixed comments?
I have read the same thing as you (mixed reviews), but from what I can gather it works allright but you will certainly have more chain rub on the outer cogs due to the cage being .5mm narrower on the 9 speed.

8 speed XT front derailleurs are still fairly common on ebay though. I have a spare (new in box XT 31.8mm tp/ts) but sorry I ain't gonna sell it.

I'm a die hard 8 speeder...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.