Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently converted to tubeless tires b/c if all the pros. This past weekend, I was riding when I hit a rock at an angle and popped the bead causing the tire to go out.

I didn't have enough sealant left in the tire so I was simply going to put the tube in there. However, I couldn't figure out how to take off the valve from the rim to put the tube in. So how do I take the valve off? I was trying to unscrew it but it was pretty hard due to the old sealant. I gave up on it after a while because I was afraid of damaging the rim/valve.

Thankfully, I didn't have to walk my bike very far back to my truck. So how do I take off the valve? Do I just push it out? Or do I unscrew it? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You have to unscrew the round nut that is threaded on the valve. It can be in there tight, use a pair of pliers and wrap it in rubber. Don't lose the rubber o-rings when you go to remove the valve and try to remember where they came from. It's not hard to figure out though in case...

A good thing is to unscrew/screw the nut once in a while in the garage to make sure it will come off in case you need it. When you go to screw it back do it hand tight only.

Remember, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

HTH,

Maurice

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
MannyECG said:
I just recently converted to tubeless tires b/c if all the pros. This past weekend, I was riding when I hit a rock at an angle and popped the bead causing the tire to go out.

I didn't have enough sealant left in the tire so I was simply going to put the tube in there. However, I couldn't figure out how to take off the valve from the rim to put the tube in. So how do I take the valve off? I was trying to unscrew it but it was pretty hard due to the old sealant. I gave up on it after a while because I was afraid of damaging the rim/valve.

Thankfully, I didn't have to walk my bike very far back to my truck. So how do I take off the valve? Do I just push it out? Or do I unscrew it? Any input would be appreciated.
On the Mavic rims, the valve goes thru the rim from the inside and is held in place with a knurled round nut and a small o-ring(very important) that you screw on from the outside, so you need to remove the small round nut at the base of the valve and then push it thru and remove from the inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.