Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got this bike, and it seemed to be working fine - but it only shifts between 5 of the cogs on the rear derailleur, when it should be able to shift through all 9. The component in question is a shimano XTR sgs. At first I could only shift into my top 5 gears. Then I tinkered with the two adjustment screws on the xtr - to no avail. When I tightened the cabling from the shift levers, I was able to reach all but the bottom two gears in the back, but the top two became unreachable, still stopping me from using 4 of the cogs. What is limiting the derailleur motion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I adjusted everything based on that parktool article, and I think I've found the issue to be with the shift levers. I am able to shift through all my gears when adjusting the tension manually, but when using the shifting levers I can only get though 5 cogs, no matter how I adjust the derailleur. I have the Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL. Any thoughts? Or do I just need to replace my shifter?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Onelivewire said:
Alright, I adjusted everything based on that parktool article, and I think I've found the issue to be with the shift levers. I am able to shift through all my gears when adjusting the tension manually, but when using the shifting levers I can only get though 5 cogs, no matter how I adjust the derailleur. I have the Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL. Any thoughts? Or do I just need to replace my shifter?
try replacing the cable and housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, that worked perfectly. All I had at hand was WD-40, so I soaked the inside of the shifter up and let it sit for some hours, came back, reassembled it, and BAM, works like a charm. This is an excellent fix, Thanks alot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.