Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought an Azonic Outlaw wheelset with 135 mm rear spacing for my latest build. The frame is a Kona Coiler size 19" (Yes I am a bigger guy) anyway, When I set the rear wheel into the rear dropouts on the frame and put the skewer through it and close it down, there is extra space, meaning I can see the spring on the quick release skewer, is this normal? I'll post pics if you dont know what I am talking about, but, hope someone understands. Thanks!

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
The axle isn't go to be flush with the outer surface of the dropout. It also won't extend pass the outer surface of the dropout.

When looking at the dropout openings you should have, the quick release nut tight against the outer surface of the dropout, then a little space, then the axle sitting on the dropout. I don't think there's a set amount of axle that MUST be in the dropout space but I would assume at least two-thirds of the dropout thickness should be taken up by the axle. Sometimes the spring will push its way into the left over space not taken up by the axle. Not a problem. The springs simply help in taking off the wheel by "releasing" the nuts from the dropouts once the quick release is opened and you start unscrewing the skewer nut. I hope this is what you meant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.