Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I posted a thread similar to this a while back & I'm having some of the same issues & was wondering if any of you guys could give me some useful input on it, I have a Rize 3, amazing bike, love it to death, but about 7-8 months ago I had an issue where the needle bearings migrated on me & I was losing about an inch of travel, I got it fixed, now its lost what I'm guessing to be around an quarter of an inch of travel, took it to the shop & the mechanic said that it was the air chamber in the bottom of the fork, that sometimes if the fork takes a big hit then some of the air comes out & you've got let out all the air, pull out to full length, etc, easy fix, however it looks like there still isn't getting full travel out of fork, I though there was supposed to be around 6 inches between top of tire to bottom of fork clamp(Since there is 5.1 inches of travel), is that right?, was that really the problem? or is it the bearings begining to migrate again, I love the lefty fork, its best fork hands down that i've ever ridden, but this is becoming a little frustrating, maybe I just got a bad one or something, any input would be greatly appreciated!, thanks.:thumbsup:

·
How do I do that?
561 Posts
Not sure on all the technical measurements you mentioned but since I have the same bike, I've read about C'dale redesigning the seals/o-rings on the Solo-air internals on our bikes. It seems the air leaks past the piston and prevents it form operating properly on some of these Lefty's. Since it sounds similar to the problem your having, I thought I'd mention it but I'm not sure if that is your problem since I'm far from an expert on these things:confused:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_files/techcenter/2009_lefty_solo_air_tech_note_en.pdf

Goodluck!;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same problem for me - sending fork back (again)...

My Rize 3 (PBR) is doing the same thing - 6 miles into my ride today, the fork had sagged so much that I had to stop and repeatedly do the manual air reset as mentioned in the Solo Air bulletin posted by Tuff Going. Fork is going back to Cannondale for 2nd time since May! Gonna lose two more weeks of primo summer riding time. Getting tired of the issues. I spent over 3 grand for mid level bike - feeling like I should have done better research on the lefty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, as far as getting frustrated about the fork problems I totally understand, however, when its not giving me issues, its the best fork that I've ever rode, bar none!, the guys at the shop that I took my bike to said that cannondale sent them an update kit that is supposed to fix the problem completely, so I'll keep you posted on that, good luck man!, all in all the Rize really is an awesome bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys
i have the swiss franchise of eighty-aid which is basically an european network for cannondale headshok/lefty repairing, tuning and servicing. as far as i can tell your problems are caused by migrating bearings and air pressure shifting where it shoudn't. when i tune the bearings then the bearings still might migrate but they will return to their proper position. basiclly i match the bearing races to individual fork and messurements.
the other problem can be solved with a modified airpiston with a approx 2.65mm rubber thickness o-ring. the piston with smaller o-ring 1.78mm gets sometimes pushed out of the seating groove which causes the problem. the second problem we have is the wave washer which is pushing the airpiston to the sealing position can be to weak and needs to have a second one installed on top of the original. hope this helps. cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown 80-Aid - excellent detail - very useful in helping me to understand the mechanics of what is likely wrong with my lefty. It is also helpful, however, in making me understand what all can go wrong with it. I've sent it back to Cannondale for this problem. I also sent it back to them once before shortly after I bought it because it was clunking at top out. (they had apparently installed the incorrect spring at the factory - a tidbit that blows my mind, quite frankly).

So, once again, I am out 2 to 3 weeks of riding my new bike - during prime summer riding & racing season - due to issues with this lefty. I'm sure there are many many lefty riders that have been problem free - just my luck I guess.

Jr-3, I appreciate (and share) your affection for the Lefty and the Rize - LOVE them actually - but between the factory defect, needle bearing resets and now this sag issue defect, it seems as though I've entered a VERY high maintenance relationship.

To top it off, our statewide MTB race series (OMBC) is on my home/local trail this weekend and I am stuck riding a $500 hardtail (my B-bike) due to this...

OK - done growling... :madmax: (maybe)...

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
About the pbr

Sean if you have the pbr you do not have a spring as it is air sprung.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought so danoalb - maybe my LBS dude confused their warranty repair info - I am sure they reported something to do with a wrong part involved in the the spring functioning.

I'm upside down & stuck with it now. I am just gonna hope this send back does the trick - I am thinking though if there is a 3rd send back, I'm gonna explore forcing them to replace it altogether - this is nuts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update

...My LBS GUY called Cannondale to request an air piston update kit - THE KITS ARE ON BACK ORDER! I guess it is logically sound to assume that there are quite a few others with this defect. OYE!

The Cannondale tech instructed My LBS guy to service the piston for now at the LBS (i.e. check it's condition, location & re-lube it) and that it MIGHT work normally while we are waiting on the back ordered kit - which of course they had no idea how long we'd be waiting on the back-ordered kit!

So my 2 favorite races are this weekend and next weekend and it looks like I get to choose between racing on my old $500 hardtail with any entry level Dart2 fork OR racing on my $3,200 Rize and holding my breath the entire race hoping that the Lefty does not fail.

Someone remind me why we are all so nutso about this HMITUSA dealie... Frankly, (after riding this bike for 2 months, and 1 factory installation defect, 1 design/materials defect and the inevitable numerous bearing race resets), I'm just not feeling it anymore...

I guess Cannondale is no different from any other manufacturer, foreign or domestic - no product is perfect in design, factory build nor in performance.

Nonetheless, I still don't think it is unreasonable for me to expect at least one full uninterrupted riding season from a $3,000 bike with a fork that is claimed to be the industry leader in design, technology & performance.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Don't dispair

The pbr130 is probably the best fork I have ever rode. My brother and I each have a Rize three's and his fork acted up after a couple of rides and sunk ALL the way down. I was pissed because I specified to the bike shop he had the updated fork as the problem has been known since early March, he called Cannondale and told them to check to make sure my bro's new bike had the new fork and yes man cust service said no porblemo. Total ********. Any way I secured 2 kits and all the tools to install them from my lbs as he was relentless on hounding them as like you they said they were on backorder.......but they managed to find 2 kits...one for his and one for mine. I haven't had any problem yet but I insisted on a kit for my bike too. We didn't install them yet but his fork has been fine since I did a bearing reset on his bike. The more they wear in the less likely from them to act up. We will be changing out the pistons probably after the season and will service the forks at the same time. As far as the bearing resets got I do mine once every two months whether it needs it or not. It is the easiest and fastest thing I have ever done and is worth it seeing how smooth the needle bearings are. My bro and I run forks on the higher pressure end and it also helps the fork from migrating the bearings. All you need to reset the fork is a Shimano hollowteck II bottom bracket tool, shock pump and a little grease and it takes all of 2 MINUTES going slow to reset it :yesnod: I really love the fork and probably couldn't go back to a traditional fork now and they have fixed its problems.
If your fork hasn't acted up in a few rides it WILL be fine and most likey won't do it again.
so I suggest you race it and tell us how the Rize kicked but and how amazing it handled the terrain.:thumbsup: By the way if you ever have to send the fork for work send it to Mendon cycle as he IS the best leftly man in the country IMHO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement Dan - hopefully the kit will magically appear from back order sooner than later and I can move past this. I do love the Lefty and the Rize - my times and skills have all followed a sharp increase since riding and racing this rig! However, I've hit sort of hit a plateau though because I've lost confidence in the fork - I actually can hear myself thinking during races stuff like "OK, here's a great stretch of trail to really drop the hammer on & make up some serious time, but, maybe I better not push it that hard because the last thing I want is a DNF due to this fork going completely limp...." And I then attack the section gingerly... I catch myself thinking twice on approach to obstacles that I know I can clear.

I by no means am at Pro or even Expert level with my racing status, however, I've worked hard to progress and am ready to push on to the next level but I don't feel confident enough in my unit to push on. Thus I am really looking forward to getting this kit installed so I can resume the process of honing my race performance & skill sets even more!

I also look forward to doing my first bearing race reset - your feedback on how difficult it is NOT is very reassuring. I'll make it a part of my monthly maintenance as well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don't stress it too much man - except for a few bearing resets i've had no problems with my pbr. there's bound to be a few bad apples in every batch i suppose, and honestly i wouldn't worry too much about it in the race either - bring the HT just in case (always should) and rock out. The point is always to have fun - did my first race on the rize and it was just amazing.
It may take some pushing but they'll hook you up. Honestly @ work we only send off to c'dale as an absolute last resort - not that they aren't smart, but that it's better to find an LBS that's competent / confident in their lefty work so that you have someone local and less delay. And if you aren't confident in them, send it to mendon - he's got the best reputation around for that stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thx!

Thanks RVMD - I'll do just that (take both bikes, have fun and rock on anyway)! I appreciate it. I am hoping once I get the kit installed that things should be good and I'll doing regular bearing race checks/resets by routine.

I'll keep Mendon in mind for if there are more problems in the future. I've heard/read lots of good stuff about him.

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update on Solo Air Kit Install, etc.

OK - the LBS did some maintenance on the problem air seal (o-ring) while we were waiting on the Solo Air Kit from Cannondale. Pressure stayed up even during a race. Kit arrived and LBS installed it and problem seems to be resolved. I've been ridin'&racin' pretty hard since - no problems... except...

You guess it - time for a bearing reset - began to get clunking/rattling at top out as I unweighted and/or lifted the front wheel whle riding over bumps/roots.

So I read the Lefty manual (http://www.sanbadasports.com/common/download.asp?Idx=22), and I read the MTBr lefty bearing reset thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=212844&page=2), picked up a Park tools BBT-9 and got busy tonight.

It didn't go well at first but after I re-read the thread and put some umph into the reset process, successfully reset the bearings. (see my post about the my first reset experience: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6019953#poststop).

No more clunk/rattle at the top, smooth travel throughout range! NOW it feels like a $3,000 bike with a fork with cutting edge technology again! So, I have my BBT-9 and I'll get into the habit of doing regular bearing resets and keep rockin" my Rize! The toughest race course in the series is coming up Sunday - I feel MUCH more confident in my steed now.

Hopefully, the air issue doesn't return... by the way, my LBS dude said that Cannondale does not consider the Solo Air Kit issue a warranty issue - go figure. However, the LBS does consider it a warranty issue so they did not charge me for the installation of the kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts