Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
whatever
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a semi-minor problem with my hayes hfx-nines(hydro) . after they get really heated up, they start to squeak bad, and when they're really hot, they'll vibrate (only when im braking). and not to mention they're only about a couple months old. any tips or suggestions would be great. thanks.

·
whatever
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
What size rotor & what type of riding :confused::confused: Get rid of the 9 master for a Mag, much better. :cornut:
well, i have a 6 inch rotor in the back, and a 7 in the front, but the commotion is mostly from the back. i ride technical, all mt. singletrack. and what do you mean when you say, switch the 9 master for a mag???

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The HFX-9 master cylinder is crapola for DH/agressive use. The HFX-Mag master is mutch better for modulation, feel & brake power. :thumbsup: Try cleaning the pads, remove & deglaze on sand papper. Possibly a 7 inch rear rotor if you use it alot, more surface to cool a tad quicker. :)

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
dirtryder1000 said:
thanks a lot guys. ill check into that other master cylinder. but where would i find one on the net. i just want to read about it, if i want it, ill get it from my bike shop. thanks again
Changing the master cylinder is not going to help your squeaking.

Sanding the pads, and ensuring proper alignment will help. Possibly facing the tabs on the frame which will help with alignment/quiet things down as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
dogonfr said:
The HFX-9 master cylinder is crapola for DH/agressive use. The HFX-Mag master is mutch better for modulation, feel & brake power.
Interesting. I just switched out an HFX-9 master cylinder and am curious as to the difference between the 9 and Mag. Do you know the difference between the two and why this difference would improve modulation, feel and brake power? Are they totally interchangeable?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
JimboCO said:
Interesting. I just switched out an HFX-9 master cylinder and am curious as to the difference between the 9 and Mag. Do you know the difference between the two and why this difference would improve modulation, feel and brake power? Are they totally interchangeable?

Thanks!

Jim
The design between ti two is quite different. The internals of the 9 are easier to disassemble, and smaller parts can be replaced. the mags are more of a one piece more expensive unit. I would guess the tolerances are better as well.

From my experience the mags just feel better. not as much play in them, just a nicer feeling master cylinder.

the calipers are identical between the 9 and mags so yes the master cylinders are interchangeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run 9s and Mags on all of my 5 bikes. No problems other than the normal wear and tear (master cyl piston seals worn after two years heavy use) etc.

As to the comment......that mags acually modulate/feel better compared to 9s.....well I have this to say: 9s and Mags use IDENTICAL master cylinder pistons, and both use G2 calipers, therefore both displace the same amount of fluid, therefore both work with the same power/modulation.
The only differences are that 9s master cyl sleeve is actually bored in the handle, and Mags have a removeable master cyl sleeve. Leverage ratios for 9s and Mags are also the same.

The one bad point about 9s I find is the reservoir plug, not being very secure, so if you do a bad bleed, then pump them, or leave them in a "hot shed" the plugs can pop out and lose your fluid...

Generally both my 9s and Mags have served me well....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.