Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get my Eno hub and Surly track cog to play nice together. The threads are incredibly tight, so much so that I can barely turn the cog with a big chain whip. I'm sure that the threads aren't cross threading, I've checked, double-checked, and checked again. I let my LBS have a crack at it and they're equally perplexed. Anyone have similar experiences? Should I just order up a Dura-ace cog?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Shimano

DancingBear said:
I can't get my Eno hub and Surly track cog to play nice together. The threads are incredibly tight, so much so that I can barely turn the cog with a big chain whip. I'm sure that the threads aren't cross threading, I've checked, double-checked, and checked again. I let my LBS have a crack at it and they're equally perplexed. Anyone have similar experiences? Should I just order up a Dura-ace cog?
Use a Shimano track cog. The Real Cyclesmith and me also had this problem. I think Surly runs a proprietary thread? Who knows, but we had to use Shimano, which worked 100%.

·
Registered
229 Posts
get another cog

Just got two EAI cogs last night from Harris Cyclery, and man are they nice :)
I've had all sorts of problems with the Surly cogs (the one you describe, and worse, much worse.) Dura Ace are also top notch, can't go wrong there. I had one on, ironically, a Surly hub and had no issues with that set up.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
There are two very similar but different threadings for track cogs. Surly has info here

NOTE: Two reasons why cogs don't always fit perfectly
on hubs the first time:

1. Our cogs use ISO standard threads: 1.375" x 24TPI
(34.92mm x 1.058mm). This threading was chosen
due to its compatibility with other threads used on
bicycle hubs. ISO threads fit English and Italian
threads almost perfectly, though an ISO threaded cog
will slightly change the actual thread angle of an
English or Italian hub. As such, any resistance you
may feel the first time you thread our cog on your
hub is the ever-so-slight difference in thread angle.
Further, it is important to not switch back and forth
between cogs and/or hubs with different threads. FYI,
the only hub that an ISO thread is not compatible
with is one with French threading (34.7mm x 1mm).

2.We have gone to great lengths to research and test
Surly™ cog compatibility with all available hubs.
What we've found is that the diameter of hub
threads vary wildly from brand to brand. As such,
we have tweaked our cogs to fit all hubs safely at
the expense of being a little bit tight on brands that
tend to be on the large side of an acceptable tolerance.
American Classic™ comes to mind; our cogs
require a little extra force to install on these hubs
than usual. In certain cases, only a professional
mechanic will be able to tell the difference between a
cog that is simply tight-fitting and one that is crossthreading
on. If in doubt, call a Pro!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Surly Cogs

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
DancingBear said:
I can't get my Eno hub and Surly track cog to play nice together. The threads are incredibly tight, so much so that I can barely turn the cog with a big chain whip. I'm sure that the threads aren't cross threading, I've checked, double-checked, and checked again. I let my LBS have a crack at it and they're equally perplexed. Anyone have similar experiences? Should I just order up a Dura-ace cog?[/QUOTEUse a SHimano track cog. The Real Cyclesmith and me also had this problem. I think Surly runs a proprietary thread? Who knows, but we had to use Shimano, which worked 100%.
I'm glad I'm not the only idiot that had this problem... The problem is very perplexing. Both Surly and Shimano use 24tpi and very similar thread angle (though not exactly the same). Campy uses a different thread (because Campy does everything their own way) but the Surly's do not follow this spec. I've spoken to White Industries about this problem that Ernesto and I had, and they claim to not know of any problems stating that a few of the Surly Team guys ride WI ENO hubs and use Surly cogs with no problems. I also spoke with Surly about the same issue and they too claim they have tested and ridden the WI ENO with Surly cogs with no problems (sighting the ISO tight thread explanation already posted). Though I continue to hear of people having big problems getting Surly cogs on ENO hubs. It seems this problem has many people confused, myself included. But, as already stated, Dura-Ace cogs thread right on...no problems. If you go out and buy a new Dura-Ace cog...just remember that Surly cogs make excellent candle holders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Holy smokes! This is exactly the problem I'm going through now. I have an ENO and Surly cog and it screws on only a quarter turn. I sat there for an hour working it on and off and made enough headway to turn it a full turn, but just about rubbed the skin off my fingers. At my LBS, they didn't have any extra cogs but a freewheel they had went on like money on both sides, so it's not the hub. Thanks to the other post'ers who've cleared this up.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Holy shmokes!

So many fixie riders out there now???

I'm running fixed/fixed with Surly hub and cogs, they go together like bread'nbutter.

I've heard tales of a Surly cog takin' out the threads on a Phil hub....wish there was a DuraAce in 18/19/20 tooth configurations. Also wish EIA (sp?) was more readily stocked and/or available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
indeed. when in doubt, read the directions, eh ?? !!

anyway, i use a surly cog on a ENO and indeed it was a spanking tight fit. it was one of those deals where a fellow has to get it all lined up nice on that rascal, be sure it isn't cross-threaded, and then look deep inside . . . . . . . then, decide - " do i feel lucky ?"

once the commitment is made you just crank that mofo on there like you mean ****ing business. the cog sorta reworks the threads on the hub not unlike the way we used to have to use a campy bb cup on some crappy frame, back in the day. i'm no pro but it worked for me, hey.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Euro-Asia Imports (EAI)

Not sure how many are running fixies on real dirt though. Those "cog strips threads on nice hub" stories seem to be pretty common lately (high torque under low gearing, its gonna happen! I've been waiting forever to receive a Boone disc hub compatible cog so I can get my MTB fixie fix going again.....

Anyway, Harris Cyclery got some EAI cogs out to me real fast, including a 19 tooth. I think they are nicer than the Shimano's. Soma Fabrications makes em too, and they look to be comparable to the EAI's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.