Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to convert my '91 Stumpjumper to a SS for winter riding and commuting. I can't seem to get the chain to run smoothly. I bought a chain tensioner and have it lined up as horizontally as possible. I've shortened the chain, but I'm not too sure about the correct length.

I'm a pretty lame mechanic, so it could be something very basic.

Thanks for the help.

I've tried to upload a picture - not sure if it'll work, though

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Of course that is going to skip. Your chain is WAY too long. Your tensioner is vertical when it should be nearly horizontal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
Of course that is going to skip. Your chain is WAY too long. Your tensioner is vertical when it should be nearly horizontal.
what do you do with all of your old tires, do they need a good home ? i'll pay for shipping thx

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Yup, what everyone else said. Take some links out and put in the push up spring. Get more chain wrap, go for a ride, drink a beer.... simple

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
Yep, your chain needs to wrap around as much of the rear cog as you can make it. Do what the voices are telling you.

I

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
been there, done that

You don't need much more wrap-around. Shorten the chain but try to use the tensioner in a pull down configuration. The more you push up the closer the pulley gets to the cog and alignment becomes critical. Secondly, when you hit drops the pulley falls, loosening the chain.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep, chain is way too long

Set it up with as little chain as possible and then add the tensioner.

What kind of dropouts are on that frame?
Look like vertical but I'm wondering if they might be semi-horizontal. If they are, you should be able to set it up without the tensioner.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,280 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Try a 2:1 combination with no tensioner, a half-link might be needed but it's a lot better.
This 2:1 suggestion is totally dependent on chainstay length. What works for one bike does not necessarily work for another. Check this link for more info and a calculator
for determining what gear ratio might work if you went with no tensioner:

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php

baker

·
Registered
189 Posts
lose the tensioner, if possible

I was still dropping my chain in rock gardens when I had a tensioner (converted derailleur). even after getting the right gear combination and losing the tensioner, you might want to fine turn your chain tension.

here's my solution and it might work with your dropouts. i call it my eccentric spacer and as my chain wears/lengethens i fine tune my tension by turning the spacer. it's also a chain wear indicator... when I need to remove the spacer to get the right tension, the chain is nearly wornout.

I like to find my own solutions to these small problems, you can fabricate it yourself using the alum spacer from an old brake booster kit. just cut the spacer in half and file with a dremel.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts