Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on a bike in at least 10yrs and need to get back into shape after having two kids. My husband bought me a Schwinn High Timber 2.6 fs. I realise that this bike isn't on the top of everyones want list but I love it and it suits my needs. So here's my question...Every so often when I shift gears the chain will jump. My husband thinks that I am doing something wrong when shifting but I'm not convinced. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Not sure what you mean by chain jump. Where does it jump from and to? What is your technique when changing gears? As a guess I'd say the cables are stretched (normal) and need readjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chain comes off the chain wheel. All of the components are shimano which means nothing to me. The bike has done this since the day after I got it ( it was purchased pre-assembled ) so either I am consistantly doing something wrong or the bike needs something.
 

·
I endorse self propulsion
Joined
·
159 Posts
joy3868 said:
The chain comes off the chain wheel. All of the components are shimano which means nothing to me. The bike has done this since the day after I got it ( it was purchased pre-assembled ) so either I am consistantly doing something wrong or the bike needs something.
i don't think ur doing anything wrong. that happened with my bike when i first got it. my problem was solved with a quick adjustment to the derailers (both front and rear). i'm guessing yours could be fixed just as easily.
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,309 Posts
20 bucks and a trip the lbs might be money well spent. Nothing is more frustrating (to me) then a chain that jumps/shifts/falls/stutters...whatever.........when you don't want it to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay off subject but your dog is too cute eatdrinkride! LBK (life before kids) my hubby and I had a similiar looking dog that was a female staffordshire terrier. She looked kinda like a pitbull but more refined. Anyway should I try fixing things myself or should I opt for help on this one?
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,309 Posts
joy3868 said:
Okay off subject but your dog is too cute eatdrinkride! LBK (life before kids) my hubby and I had a similiar looking dog that was a female staffordshire terrier. She looked kinda like a pitbull but more refined. Anyway should I try fixing things myself or should I opt for help on this one?
I always encourage the fix-it-yourself option if someone is interested in wrenching and learning. Rear der. and cable adjustments are simple yet come across very complicated in a technical translation ( I mean in a manual ). I found that once I did it once it became much much easier the next time. I think Dogonfr or someone listed some reference sites, the Park repair sites are good for almost anything. Also if you happen to have a bike manual from a bike purchase it probably includes the Shimano instructions for making these adjustments, I find them pretty good, just follow step by step the first time out.

If it becomes too much then try the lbs, maybe watch while they make the adjustments.

btw the dog's name is JoJo and he is a Boxer with a bit of a mix. He can kick Dogonfr's dogs ass :D
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
joy3868 said:
The chain comes off the chain wheel. All of the components are shimano which means nothing to me. The bike has done this since the day after I got it ( it was purchased pre-assembled ) so either I am consistantly doing something wrong or the bike needs something.
Check those links i sent they have some great info for that stuff pluse more. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay new off-subject questions. Every time I go riding I pull a bike trailer ( 25-30lbs ) plus two kids ( another 65-70lbs ). The trail I ride follows a river and goes over the river under the bridge over the street up and down up and down ( you get the idea ). I'm finally to the point where I can ride the whole thing w/o having to get off the bike and push it up the small mountains. So here's my questions...am I trying to get to the point where I pedal the entire time? Is it okay to pedal then coast, pedal then coast? Is it harder on the bike to do that? Does it make any difference at all? I am riding purely to get in shape ( not to compete ) so any info or opinions would be great; and just to share..I swallowed my first bug this afternoon.
 

·
A little south of sanity
Joined
·
116 Posts
Joy, well i was having the same issues with my chain" jumping" I have been into my LBS a few times and have had them tune my bike up. when I asked the guy i've been dealing with at the LBS about the chain thing he adjusted it for me in like 2 minutes and did not charge me. ( maybe it was because of the rock shox rear shock I just bought).. either way it made it not jump anymore and it was very quick. I would imagine if there is a charge it would be minimal. :) hope that helps you
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
joy3868 said:
Is it okay to pedal then coast, pedal then coast? Is it harder on the bike to do that? Does it make any difference at all? I am riding purely to get in shape ( not to compete ) so any info or opinions would be great; and just to share..I swallowed my first bug this afternoon.
We all coast at times it will not harm the drive line, no wories. You should keep your feet spinning in circles most of the time to mantain a rythem. Im no expert but if you coast too much then you never get to maintain a good spin. :)
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,309 Posts
joy3868 said:
Okay new off-subject questions. Every time I go riding I pull a bike trailer ( 25-30lbs ) plus two kids ( another 65-70lbs ).
I gotta ask: What the heck kind of trailer are you pulling that weighs 30lbs? I don't think I could handle that for more than a few minutes...
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I gotta ask: What the heck kind of trailer are you pulling that weighs 30lbs? I don't think I could handle that for more than a few minutes...
Gots to get the CRF250R & the kids to the track some how!!!:D
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,309 Posts
dogonfr said:
Gots to get the CRF250R & the kids to the track some how!!!:D
......I'm at a loss as to what the heck you are talking about...:)

Maybe you refer to a Honda dirt bike? Yes, no??? I used to have a Suzuki125 and my buddy had a CR250............... Uno mas cerveza por favor...:D
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
......I'm at a loss as to what the heck you are talking about...:)

Maybe you refer to a Honda dirt bike? Yes, no??? I used to have a Suzuki125 and my buddy had a CR250............... Uno mas cerveza por favor...:D
:lol: Sorry yes it is a very cool moto by Honda. Was you Suzuki a TM125 :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some off brand of trailer I'm sure. We were able to get the trailer on sale for less than $150 if that says anything . Every time I ride the trail some happy biker ( who isn't pulling children by the way ) asks, "How's it going?" To which I reply in a slight moan, "Just fine. I think it's your turn to pull my children." They laugh and then leave me in their dust...Most unfriendly, don't you think?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top