Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i converted my old haro to a single speed today. when i took it out for a test ride, the chain kept skipping when i would put some pressure into the pedals. here are a few pics. anyone have some idea as to how to solve the probelm? in one pic, you can see how the chain is coming up on the cog. ive checked the chain alignment. im using the center ring up front and have a 16t cog in the rear that is sitting closer to the frame then the hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Use new components together. If you mix and match you can have problems. Lay the chain and see how it sits without any tension.

TAKE LINKS OUT OF YOUR CHAIN
You have very little chain wrap on your cog. You want the shortest chain possible. Right now you're using about five teeth to hold the chain on the rear. You want closer to eight.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
novadcmdrider said:
ok, i converted my old haro to a single speed today. when i took it out for a test ride, the chain kept skipping when i would put some pressure into the pedals. here are a few pics. anyone have some idea as to how to solve the probelm? in one pic, you can see how the chain is coming up on the cog. ive checked the chain alignment. im using the center ring up front and have a 16t cog in the rear that is sitting closer to the frame then the hub.
yup chain is far too long.... take the chain off the tensioner and make it as short as you can without it being too short as too the chain is super snug.
I have the same tensioner and look at the placement of mine... i think i had to take two links out of mine. also make sure your tensioner pulley is lined up wit hthe rear cog.

Attachments

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
is your cog in the rear ramped from and old casset

1 - 8 of 8 Posts